Audio Magic M2 vs SR Pink fuse, Owners thoughts and observations here please

Lets try to guess which color they will do next. I think it will be Yellow.

4 Likes

I did hear mention of a diamond fuse when I was at the SR room back at CAF. Could be the code name though. Iā€™d go with Yellow ahead of Green :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The last two I tried were bonefied lemonā€™s but I am sure a yellow banana will make many here go ape sh_t!

1 Like

I think green

1 Like

Itā€™s not easy being green

2 Likes

For the new color, I vote for barber-pole. And with an ultra expensive clear fuse holder, in a cyclops form, like the date cyclops of my watch crystal, so I can sit behind my rack watching it spinning, wondering if itā€™s spinning in the right direction.

2 Likes

It will draw less current and enhance the sound.

1 Like

Being a prog rock fan, I vote for ā€œIn the court of the Crimson Fuuuuuuse. Ah, ah, ahā€¦ā€

2 Likes

I used to be excited about fuses. Something else replaced that.

Okay, back to fuses. :wink:

I have about 100 hours on the Pink, replacing the Audio Magic M-1 in my P20. Take my observations as my opinion. The Pink sounds a bit ā€œcleanerā€ than the M-1, and seems to make it easier to resolve spatial placement throughout the frequency range. Piano sounds a touch more natural, which is kind of ironic because in general I sometimes get the feeling that what Iā€™m hearing is a touch ā€œtoo cleanā€. Not that thereā€™s any stripping away of harmonics or truncation of rhythms - thatā€™s not it at all. It could just be that Iā€™m used to the somewhat more ā€œsmooth rollingā€ quality of the M-1. These differences, as always, are smallish in the grand scheme of things. I think I like the Pink better, but Iā€™d say that if you already have a system that is somewhat lean and ultra detailed, the Pink may not be a good match. Iā€™ll say that right now it brings more to my systemā€™s table than the Audio Magic can offer, even with its own strengths (triangles, for example, sound a bit more luscious with the M-1). Iā€™ll keep track of whether thereā€™s any further change over time. Given that I practically stole it from the Synergistic guys at AXPONA :grinning:, Iā€™ll say itā€™s worth what I paid for it. Itā€™s a good fuse, although I will be interested in trying an M-2.

My wife, BTW, gave me her thoughts before I expressed any of mine (I try not to even glance at her when sheā€™s helping me with this stuff :sweat_smile:). Her feelings are consistent with mine.

And oh yes, we picked the direction we both thought sounded better as the first order of business, some days ago when we started.

5 Likes

And which direction did you both decide on?

ā€œSā€ closer to the fuse cap, but I really didnā€™t want to say initially as I donā€™t think thatā€™s any indication of what will work for anyone else. But since you asked, thatā€™s my answer. Everyone should try it for themselves and choose. My choice is meaningless. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Are you going to try an M2 in the P20?

Thanks. Is that how the stock fuse comes in the various PowerPlants? I canā€™t even remember. I have an M1 in my P3, which doesnā€™t come with an S.

Yep, thatā€™s the plan.

1 Like

Sorry for the confusion, Tony. The ā€œSā€ is with reference to the markings on the Synergistic Pink fuse.

I just pulled out my old stock fuse. It looks like both ends have a boxed S on them, along with the voltage and amperage information. So, no indication of direction that I can see. I had forgotten that.

:thinking: :thinking: :thinking: Synergistic Research fuses have an ā€œSRā€ marking on them. Do you not have this?

Iā€™m talking about the fuse that came with my P3. I donā€™t currently have any SR fuses. I used to have a Purple, but it died on me. I had applied some Furutech Nano Liquid to the ends, and I think it didnā€™t like that. My Audio Magic M1s are doing fine (one in my P3, one in my Marantz Model 30 amp).

I doubt itā€™s the nano liquid. I have 5 Purples in use, each with a light coat of nano liquid on the caps, no issues.

1 Like