Cleaning the system

Any suggestion?

Vacuum/blowing tools? Something useful to remove dust behind the rack, around spaghetti cables, under components, speaker drivers and heat sinks or other small parts that are difficult to reach with a cloth.

A few Amazon links are very appreciated.

TIA

https://www.amazon.com/Swiffer-Staubmagnet-Starterset-Griff-TĂĽcher/dp/B006VABXBS/ref=sr_1_3?crid=GOYZGSHSLTSU&keywords=swiffer+dusters&qid=1699101277&sprefix=Swiff%2Caps%2C103&sr=8-3

Swiffer…work like a miracle. Can get them with longer handles too if you need the reach.

4 Likes

Call a housekeeper with stereo experience :grin:

5 Likes

Thanks, that’s what I’m using right now but… it works great just on a flat (glossy) surface, like wooden shelves or metal bottom/top components.
I’m looking for tools to be used with non flat surfaces like heat sinks on the sides of P20, cabling mess behind the rack, woofer speakers and things like that, where essentially air could be a better way to remove dust.

1 Like

How I would love to do this as a job (in Al’s houses, for example).

2 Likes

You might try a Shop Vac type of industrial vacuum either set to vacuum or blow.
An air compressor would also work if you have one available.

1 Like

Yes this is my idea, just curious to know if any member around here already used one of them in particular, available on Amazon.
I’m afraid blowing air could be worst than vacuuming. Lots of cheap tools on the web can’t convince me enough.

I know I know… it’s Saturday and I’m wasting my (your) time with futile questions maybe.

1 Like

Maybe something like this Luca, I never tried it so don’t know how good it is.

https://www.amazon.com/Compressed-Fulljion-51000RPM-Electric-6000mAhRechargeable/dp/B09V4L21G6/ref=asc_df_B09V4L21G6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=647176302411&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=3244053314401732241&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9001877&hvtargid=pla-1680358478396&th=1

1 Like

I use a round vacuum attachment that has long, soft bristles at the end of the flexible hose.
I think suck is much better than blow. If you blow it away, where’s it landing?

3 Likes

There are no dumb questions.

1 Like

This is the honest to goodness truth. DO NOT FOLLOW MY IDIOT IDEA! Last week I was using my battery operated leaf blower on my deck. Light bulb went off. What if stick it under my stereo cabinet and let it blow!? Well, other than a Dune like dust storm, I blew out an xlr connector from my Mac. So now, I had to remove some equipment to get to it to reconnect. Not a good idea. Hold my beer and watch this!

9 Likes

I use the Swiffer sheets (I don’t know if they make the ones like rags anymore) strapped with velcro cable ties or taped to a paint stir stick cut to a shorter length and my vac with a crevice tool. Works great and you need not utter…ooh la la, zut alors or oui oui.

2 Likes

That’s a Tim Allen moment :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

Hey luca…

As for me I’m very cautious where using pressurized air to remove
dust or other debris from my gear. Blowing dust can cause dust to get embedded deeper
into components making matters worse.

For me vacuuming sucking out dust/debris is better than compressed air or air
driven by vaccuum cleaner.

Damp mopping with lightly damp cloth cabinet and component surfaces for me
is far safer than blowing air on or around components.

Swifter while good can leave dust trails at times.

Vacuum floor carpets, damp mop hardwood floors.

This is how I would perform equipment cleaning.

Best wishes everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks, couldn’t agree more… a clean room is mandatory. There is a rule, though. Behind the rack and closer to speakers I’m the only one allowed in my family to clean stuff. That’s my job and I’m happy to take care of that.
This is the reason why I started the thread.

2 Likes

Another vote for the Swiffer. I have the long, telescoping handle for mine.
I used it yesterday to get underneath one of my racks and around the stand of one of my monitors. Didn’t have to move any of it to get the job none.
Indispensable and cheap to boot.

1 Like

I got this one a long time ago and it is still the best duster for cleaning rack and components. I use a microfiber towel to touch off the cable surface. Once a week I also use a hand vacuum to clean the floor behind.

Lately I played with cables (tuning rings and elevators) so often that they do not have time to accumlate enough dirt yet. :laughing:

2 Likes

Swiffer is a great product and I use them regularly.
However, the Swiffer should not go anywhere near one’s cantilever. (said by someone with direct experience) :sob:

5 Likes

Nor should one’s housekeeper, similar bad experience.

2 Likes

I found that artist’s blending “fan” brushes are great for cleaning hard to reach nooks and crannies of tube amps, heat sinks, tone arms, etc. They aren’t stiff and are very gentle on whatever surface you are dusting.

https://www.amazon.com/Paint-Brush-Artist-Painting-Acrylic/dp/B071JRDPLL/ref=sr_1_33_sspa?crid=3H6NOB9RGLWHL&keywords=blender%2Bbrush&qid=1699120672&rnid=2941120011&s=arts-crafts&sprefix=blender%2Bbrush%2Caps%2C108&sr=1-33-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9idGY&th=1

2 Likes