Direct Stream Junior keeps disappearing as target device in Spotify and mconnect

I had been happily streaming Spotify to my DSJ up until a few days ago (today is July 17th) when the DSJ network connectivity suddenly disappears. I can see it listed as a device from within spotify but connecting to it fails. I have mconnect mcontrol on my iPad and the DSJ no longer appears a device. I am forced to reboot/recycle the DSJ by powering it off and on again using the power switch on the rear. This will correct the problem for a short time and then it reappears. I can see the DSJ on my network as the IP address it utilises remains active and responds to ping commands from my Mac. Its disappearance seems to coincide with operations like it going to sleep or trying to change the controlling device (switching from iPad to Mac for example). I am at a bit of loss as to why this may be occurring or how to overcome it.

Any help appreciated.

Cheers

Paul

What router are you using?

Hi Broderic

Its a Netgear Gateway CG3000v2.

Cheers

Paul

I had similar issues that were eventually traced to a software bug in a Pakedge RK-1 router. 3 days later Pakedge sent me a software beta that fixed the issue, then they released it as a production update. I had no assistance from Spotify Support what-so-ever. You will only get the most superficial assistance from Spotify if you are using a non-Spotify Connect certified device (and the PS Audio DAC’s are not in the list of such devices). Which is why I then cancelled my Spotify Premium subscription, and I told them why, and what I thought of their rubbish support.

Thanks Broderic

Unfortunately in Australia when connected to a cable network the device from a firmware perspective is controlled by the Service Provider in this case Optus and they have little or no interest in providing firmware updates these days.

Would fixing the IP rather than relying on DHCP make any difference?

Is the new bridge release likely to make a difference? I am sitting on RedCloud (3.5.1 I believe).

The DSJ is currently stating no upgrade is available.

Cheers

Paul

Problem solving things like this is a step-by-step process. I’ve got a hunch you have a router issue. If you have a spare router (i.e. not a Netgear Gateway CG3000v2) build a simple network for testing purposes. That is how I got to the bottom of the issue I mentioned before. If this step doesn’t restore normal operation then we can look at something else.

I am also in Australia and connected to cable. You don’t need help from an ISP to discover what is going wrong here. In any event, may I suggest it’s probably time to invest in a new router (i.e. a good router, one which is not tied to the ISP). You certainly aren’t required to use an Optus supplied router on your cable (if the Netgear can be put in bridged mode just use it as a cable modem, and connect a dedicated router to a LAN port of the Netgear).

Optus will not allow a non-optus supplied router be connected to their network. There are several unique ID’s supplied with the router they provide they use to bind the router to their network.

So how is it that I can use a Pakedge router on my cable connection in Australia?

I have a Cisco switch off which all my ethernet devices hang including the DSJ. This forms the backbone of my internal network. The router is only used to allocate out IP addresses through DHCP and to provide a gateway to external networks. If this makes a difference.

Nope. I’m 90% sure the problem is in the router, which is why I suggested using a different router as the first fault finding step.

I just had a quick trawl via Dr Google and it seems your Netgear does support bridged mode operation. You can use whatever router you want on the Optus cable, just use their Netgear as a cable modem.

You say you have re-booted the DSJ from the rear switch to get some relief but have you shut down the entire network back to the cable supplied Gateway and power them back up one at a time in order? Make sure you let each device cycle completely up before moving on the the next. Should take about ten minutes total and if you can give the DSJ a static address try it.

Yeah to all that, worth a try. But realize there are much better options out there than these ISP supplied routers. If you want to build a robust network at home, use an enterprise class router and a dedicated access point, not the ISP supplied one.

Thanks for the reply Jack.

The DSJ has been allocated a static IP. Trying this one change for the moment.

Its odd as none of my other devices are showing any sign of this issue. I have multiple Mac’s, a set of KEF LS50 wireless also utilising spotify, IP camera’s, TV’s, AV receivers etc that do not show any of this behaviour. This is kinda why I believe it to be localised to the bridge II.

Cheers

Paul

This is exactly what I found, and the remedy was as I mentioned earlier. Just because the DSJ is the only device affected, don’t necessarily assume this is where the problem lies.

Trying another router is not something I can do while I am using Optus Cable as Optus does not permit it on their pre-NBN cable network. Should NBN over HFC ever make it to where I am in Melbourne ditching the Optus supplied Netgear cable modem/router is the first thing I will be doing :slight_smile:

Cheers

Paul

Sigh… fixed IP makes no difference.

Again, I am on pre-NBN cable - I have no intention of changing to NBN - and I can use whatever router I like.

…because the problem is the router…I said 90% sure, but really, that should be 99% sure. What you’re seeing I have seen the exact same behavior. Put the Netgear in bridged, borrow a router from somewhere (even a cheap D-Link, whatever), and test as suggested. If this fixes the problem, suggest buy a better router and connect it to the LAN port of the Netgear (the Netgear is behaving as a cable modem in bridged mode).

@Brodric It sounds like you still using the Netgear to connect to the Optus Network then.

Correct. Put it in bridged mode. Borrow a cheap router for testing purposes. If that works, suggest buy a proper router.