DirectStream DAC MK2 MountainTop - Mount Massive

Hi Paul,
Done all that and still no function.
Sent you a reply earlier to your weekend message, it has all info.

What do you mean “no function”?

What “does not work as advertised” mean?

Paul does not receive private messages If this is how you sent the information to him he will not see it.

Please post the information here. Paul will see it. And it may help others.

1 Like

Thanks. I did not receive that. Can you email me directly? Paul @ psaudio.com

1 Like

Hi Paul,
Email just sent to your ps audio email address.

Stephen

Thanks, Elk. And Steven, thanks for sending me an email. Elk’s right, I am too lame to figure out private messages.

1 Like

DirectStream DAC MK2 was running for 24 hours straight, and the surface is barely warm. But I noticed the bottom at rear is hotter than the top surface. It is better to elevate it higher than the stock feet to help air circulation.

I use three Orea pods with a 1.5x1.5 sorbothane sheet on each (duro70) to elevate it above the surface. I tried metal columns, Sorbo. rings and VooDoo footers in the past, but found SQ is better with the current setup.

1 Like

What is you positioning of the 3 Orea pads?

Two in front and one in the back middle. I like the look, and I am not sure if I compared the sound (do not remember).

That’s the way the 3 feet are on my HeadAmp GS-X mk2. However, my Innuos ZENith Mk3 has 3 feet in a staggered pattern. Guess there is no “right” way. I agree with the “look”.

1 Like

I changed streamers from a Lumin U2 Mini/SBooster to a Lumin U2 streamer and the ultrasonic issue with Massive Beta improved, significantly. Previously, Massive Beta was unlistenable. Much thanks to one of the Forum members who said Massive Beta needed “break-in” time. I set the MK2 volume control to 94 and adjusted the desired volume using the Lumin U2 digital control with the LEEDH turned on. Since my setup is digital-only, I don’t use a preamp,

The “Massive

1 Like

Agreed. I have been auditioning the MK2. The massive sounds great but you have to put a preamp in the chain. Every pre that i have tried diminishes the soundstage and some detail but eliminates all noise floor issues. Direct Stream preamp good, my current Mytek Manhattan II better, Stellar Gold Preamp beta BEST. I really prefer the MK2 standalone. I would like to get an official word from PSA that they can solve the Noise issues in the Massive final release. If they can do that and you can run this unit standalone then I believe they have an untouchable product here that competes with anything under $15K I have switched back to Antero but it has a few issues with ringing between roon tracks and just does not quite measure up sonically to Massive which is a game changer.

2 Likes

Beta releases are for that reason. To bring out the bugs. The best testing environment outside the lab is with real users that can uncover issues that might not have been anticipated in a controlled design and testing environment. Plus what might seem perfect to an engineer might not fly with actual end users. I like the fact that this company is always pushing the boundaries and working to keep their current products on the cutting edge.

2 Likes

Your conclusion about adding a preamp is why I am back to Antero with my MK2. For sure Massive Beta played through a preamp is a game changer. Alas, there are always trade-offs. At this point, I have not used a preamp since purchasing the MK1. I believe a viable solution will come from PS Audio. Maybe even, a less than fantastic Mountain Top that works sans preamp?

1 Like

I just upgraded from Mk1 to Mk2 last week and upgraded to Massive Mountain Top four days ago. Still breaking in but sounding fantastic so far. I have about 10 hours on MMT thus far and it’s noticeably more open. I have noticed occasional ramping up of volume on first notes (for example, on guitar notes that start a tune out of silence, the initial note has a slightly “bowed” effect). It doesn’t do it consistently but interestingly did it at PS Audio when I auditioned the gear (I assumed at the time that it was an artifact of the Airlens connection). I expect this to be an artifact of noise correction that will be corrected in later versions–it definitely did not do it on the version that the Mk2 came loaded with.

On balance–very, very happy.

3 Likes

I returned the Preamp and MK2 this week. I’m going to follow the forums and see if they get the noise sorted out. If this can run clean standalone without preamp, I will be waiting at the front door at opening time to pick one up again.

5 Likes

Mountain Massive Beta has finally bought pure joy to me. I have no idea what happened. I bought the MK2 in January 2023. It has always had a noticeable hiss, whether I used or did not use a preamp. I put my LTA MZ3 preamp in the system 3 days, ago. Today, I heard several serious pops/buzzes through the speakers. NOW, the MK2 has no hints of hiss at the beginning or end of a track? I am not changing the configuration to experiment to see how it would sound sans preamp…the sound is amazing!!! OMG, the MZ3 is truly a bargain.

1 Like

I meant to say the MK2 is really a great bargain, as well as, the Linear Tube Audio MZ3 preamp. I prefer the connection from the DAC>Anticables 5.3 XLR>Furutech XLR connections on the SMc DNA-1 Ultra 20+. However, I can accept the smaller soundstage with preamp included because Massive Beta offers significantly better SQ than Antero.

1 Like

Just received tracking # confirming that my MKll with the finalized Massive firmware installed is on the way! Estimated delivery is Monday. Hope all the winter storms between there and here won’t be a problem.

3 Likes

Mine was shipped yesterday and ETA is Saturday. Looking forward to the arrival!

2 Likes

I hope I can get to sleep tonight :smiley:

2 Likes