DMP 3.09 firmware released

Problems arose for my friend with his DMP because PSA removed the first batch of force load and then changed downloads. That was the biggest problem … My two friends were unlucky in that respect, but fortunately, I had caught the first batch of force loads and I installed 3.09 for one of my pals.

…Theory and logic go out the window when it comes to the inner workings of my DMP…

1 Like

There is no reason for this to be stated by each poster. We can always fairly assume the subjective report is an opinion and based on what the poster hears in his system.

We need a disclaimer only if the poster is completely making things up. :slight_smile:

A moment ago I did as you suggest, without changes, for me 3.06 has better SQ. Maybe our different opinions are related to the fact that I have a WW Platinum Starlight HDMI and SR Blue fuses ?

A guy can dream, can’t he? : )

I suppose I was reacting to the general tenor of things on this thread lately. It can get awfully, “THIS is HOW IT IS” - despite the fact we know the experiences are highly individualized/unique/unit dependent/FW dependent/system dependent/some folks’ Black Cat Bone is clearly not oriented properly on top of the unit, etc.

Again, not to say there are not real issues. But I come here to get away from polarization ; )

2 Likes

Very good points. We do lean toward the dogmatic.

I believe initially it was going to be called the Directstream Transport. Than they changed it to Directstream Memory Player.

Initially I felt 3.09 definitely had a different sound quality, and wasn’t sure that I liked it as much as 3.06. After a few days of play and one relaunch of the software (I tend to relaunch it a few times when new, seems to do no harm and may do some good) I quite like 3.09. I’ve futzed with tubes and adjustments on my system a little, but I tend to be doing that often enough.

I definitely think that different cabling, fuses, platforms, etc. may influence what firmware one prefers in a system.

Operationally I’ve been pleased with slight improvements in 3.09. Blu-ray Audio discs load and play more readily, though the fantastic sounding Japanese ones I own don’t play at all and play flawlessly on my Oppo UDP-205. CD and SACD operate well. I’m glad I have it, thanks ye code writers!

1 Like

Aaaaack! First fake news. Now we have to worry about fake listening, too ?? :grin:

:grin:

So last night we had the power go out momentarily. Living in S. FLA with a shitty power grid you get used to it. Must happen at least once a week here. Anyway, this morning I fire up the system and listen to a few CDs. Meh. Something doesn’t sound quite right. I check all the cables, tubes in the preamp, etc. Nope still not great. I get a thought to re-install 3.09. After about 90 seconds it loads. Put on the same Bruce Hornsby bootleg I had just been listening to. Sound is much better, like I remember when I turned off the system yesterday. Go figure.

Not a complaint, merely an observation. Maybe the software got corrupted like disk errors you can get on a PC when the power suddenly goes out. Functionality was fine, just that SQ was a little off until I reinstalled 3.09. Any ideas?

This year I have rebooted the DMP several times with the SD card in, effectively reloading the firmware, with each of the new firmware I have installed. I find doing so in the first few weeks sometimes leads to better sound quality. Not sure why this is, or if I ‘imagine’ it, but that would seem to mirror your experience.

Very strange occurence. The disk errors in a PC are caused by the mechanical hard drive being shut down suddenly. The memory that stores the firmware is solid state and non volatile. This is a good question for the engineers for sure. Is the power supply collapse somehow corrupting the data?

How about warm-up. Did you have your amp/pre-amp on longer with reboots. I have BHK stuff with tubes which means that I leave them on standby until I fire them up. I find that it takes time for the system to reach its best SQ.

Similar warm-ups. The clincher for me was as soon as I re-installed 3.09 the sound was back to normal. Literally immediately it sounded better. I’m going to guess that perhaps something happens to the solid state memory when you just yank the plug out of the wall (i.e. power failure). Equally possible that the surge when the power comes back on has a negative effect.

We’ve had air conditioning repair guys here on multiple occasions over the years. They all tell me it’s the surge when the power comes back on that kills the caps in the air conditioner over time.

3.09 installed earlier today. Sounds better than ever. Works flawlessly.

1 Like

Curious if SD cards need break-in

So all the album text is appearing without getting chopped off?

Not here! In fact today i noticed numbers and symbols mixed in with the song titles. I checked the playlist and everything looked good there. This is besides the cut off titles

More whacky behavior with 3.09.

1. The album art has broken.
  2. [ >>| ] on the remote control is causing the track to repeat (instead of skip to the next track)
  3. the elapsed time and time to go timers are not counting during playback, they are both stuck on 00:00.

It is facing another rest under the bed unless these issues are understood and fixed.

Perhaps PS Audio should buy an MSB Transport and rip it open to find out how their hardware seems to work seemlessly with the OPPO optical drive. Maybe there needs to be a hardware change in the DMP in addition to further software tweaking.

2 Likes

Yeah I’ve had this happen 2 or 3 times since loading 3.09 the day it was released together with the displayed track number not advancing as the disc plays.