DMP 3.09 firmware released

I have to agree. There has been much progress made. The cover art is much more reliable. the load time significantly reduced. The ability to direct access tracks from the remote have all improved significantly. The issues for my DMP that still are there are the SACD playing as PCM 24 bit 88khz. This is intermittent and will some times play ok other times require a reboot. The DMP will lock up a reboot gets it back. Sometimes progress bar moves without sound output. That one will clear with a reinsert of the disk. I am relieved to see others having the same issues that I am as this does indicate a merging which would make them more likely to be resolved.Yes we are getting closer for sure! Thanks to Barry , Matt and the whole team for the hard work.

1 Like

Just loaded the 3.09. While playing an SACD, the remote stopped working and the screen not responding to my fingers. I went back to 3.06 and everything is good.

No random play here. Repeat one and all works fine though.

If you’d care to scroll above a few days, I had a similar experience that I detailed here. After reinstalling 3.09, it’s been running perfectly.

Thanks RonP. I did tried to reload three times. All the same result. I may try the fourth time.

Fodalo, better is to ask PS Audio for help. Reload will not help. You need PS Audio to sort it out…

What Paul says:
Barry can do for those willing to help is log what’s occurring in your machine. Using the SD card, Barry sends you a slightly modified version of code and it logs every action then he reads it back to see what’s happening. We’ve been doing this with several helpful customers to find out what’s happening. Very helpful.

Ronald

Thanks Ronald. I will contact PS.

Same happened to me. After a while trying with one CD i tried with others and had not the problem. Probably it’s a problem of certain individual CDs and not a commen problem (the disc in question was a Chandos sampler for Neeme Järvi). Besides that one I did not encounter any problems with other CDs-

Thanks fannylein. I will see if the same problem happens to other disks. The one I played was Fairytales (Odin), the new remastered version.

Regrettably I have to add my DMP to the list. It seems to have learned a bad new trick today. When I eject one disk and insert another the draw closes normally but the new disk will not read and the unit displays Insert Disc. After I open and close the draw the new disc I had inserted will read and it plays fine. This behavior, however is new and disconcerting because it has appeared out of nowhere.

Do you close the drawer with the remote or by pushing it?

Gently pushing it, but I’ve always done that and never had an issue.

Does it do it with the same disk or all disks?

I’ve only tried 3 disks today. It did that with all of them. I can see if it happens with all discs. It’s just strange because to date, I have not had any of the hardware/timing idiosyncrasies that have affected some other units.

are we approaching the point where it will have to be admitted that the software for this otherwise fine product will never be fixed?

I have been following the issues about the DMP player and have had a few minor issues of my own, but nothing that makes me want to go elsewhere as the sound is so amazing.

However I have discovered something which makes zero sense but I did this experiment four times and it was the same outcome.

Question: can the material a cd is made of affect the performance of the player.

I have this cd that completely shuts off all functionality of the player. no fast forward, no pause, no eject, no nothing.

I took three other discs (all are PCM) and played them and everything worked fine. No issues.
But this one cd would cause the problems and I verified this four times. it would play fine but I could not use the remote nor the control panel.
To eject it I had to reboot the player.

This makes no sense but might explain why there is a randomness to the problems people are having.

The cd is Peter Levin Mobius and to my knowledge there is nothing unusual about it except it drives the DMP nuts.

1 Like

Is the Mobius disc a CD-R?

I do not think so. what alerted me to this one being a problem, is that it would not stop at the end of cut 3. in fact it would not respond to any commands including eject. so weird. https://www.amazon.com/Mobius-Pete-Levin/dp/B076HD4ZBP/ref=sr_1_3?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1539992205&sr=1-3&keywords=pete+levin

Curious. It sounds like it would be a great listen. I love Tony’s bass work.
It appears to be published by CD Baby, which is a fairly small label. It could be that the disc is authored oddly. How does it play in other players?
Could there be enhanced content on the disc that the Oppo is picking up and causing it to ignore the PS Audio hardware?
It would be interesting to see what would happen if you were to rip the disc and burn a new CDR copy.

it is very well recorded but the music is a bit too intense for me. I like parts of it for sure. it belongs to a friend and need to get it back to him soon. will try it on another player but i bet there will not be any issues. would be interesting if any others get it and have the same issues. or not for that matter. so weird for sure.