DMP Update Code - Post your impressions here

Absolutely Elk…

Had a cd finish and not return to start of track one. So I hit play and track one started to play…but the track number stayed put on 12…

So you messed up my plans to be outside on a lovely afternoon! Before I downloaded 3.06, I listened to several cuts on a couple of cds and then rebooted the dmp planning to listen for about 20 minutes. That was three hours ago! 3.06 sounded very nice–I go to a lot of chamber and some symphonic concerts partly to keep my ears calibrated, so I’ll repeat, 3.06 is very nice.

Remote number pad worked fine, cds loaded very quickly, etc. Except for a few “skip arounds” using the remote pad, I generally listen to a cd much like I do my vinyl, front to back. Today, however I did a fair amount of skipping around with no problem.

1 Like

Ok—here’s where I make some enemies for sure. I think cover art on the display is cute but has no place on a serious hi fi component. I expect that sort of thing on stuff for sale at Best Buy; stuff that has a zillion features; amps with a zillion watts that weigh 11 pounds and has blinkee lights.
My question is: How much engineering time does this “feature” take away from development of actual performance/Sound quality development? If it’s even 5 minutes, then in my opinion, please stop it.

5 Likes

+1 Ron

1 Like

Don’t own a DMP, but I do own a DSD and I love the cover art feature! I’ve explained my reasons many times. I have a large collection and throw lots of parties with dancing and drinking… I don’t always remember the album, a quick glance and oh ya! Guests enjoy it too. Would be better if it was bigger. Granted, the issues of getting cover art on the DMP are different. Just my two cents in defense of cover art.

1 Like

As far as an increase in noise floor with 3.06. I have my Directstream DAC directly driving my power amp via balanced connections. I can select the various inputs on the DAC and do not hear any noise level change.

I too love the Cover art and text. I am stuck settling with the fact that the DMP trunckates the titles and would not be willing o give up that feature. It worked really well with the PWT and I spent allot of time getting all my CD’s datafilled on ly PS Playlist. This is a High buck item and should have features other than just playing the discs. Yes the sound is the most important but the whole package is what I love!

I agree with you about 2.06 over 2.08 and 2.06 was allot more functionally reliable too!

I have a DVD-Audio of Fleetwood Mac “Say You Will”

*Forward and Backward track works well
*Remote Number pad direct access of song does not work, freeze up.
But forward or Backward track button brings out the frozen state
*Seems that accessing on DVD-A can confuse and slower than CD or SACD
*It register DVD-A in upper left hand corner and states 96k on screen
*Zero issue with SACD and CD
*Sounds wonderful

I can report that the DMP is now working with BluRay audio discs. However the DMP display only shows 96k/ instead of 96k/24 bit. So that is a minor bug to add to the list.

The other thing I’ve noticed is the DMP doesn’t seem to be reporting BluRay Audio plays to the MyPS>Playlist server. CD + SACD is being reported, BR is not.

Truncating the text was discussed way back on day one. If I recall there is a limitation how much information the OPPO side can pass to the PS Audio side that causes this issue. I did ask if it was possible for the DMP to scroll all the text, left to right, instead of truncate some of it (My Pronto RC can do this), however I didn’t get an answer back on that question.
Truncating the text is an issue for me simply because it’s untidy.

+1 @RonP

I’ve expressed my opinion on this before. If you’re going to put a touchscreen in a product like this you have to make it work. If you can’t get it to work, leave it out. Even if you can get it to work, I’d have preferred the DMP to have a video out for menu navigation rather than have the touchscreen.

Paul has said it was his call to leave out the video, and we just have to accept it as a Captain’s pick. I’m just not convinced there are overwhelming sonic advantages in leaving the video side out of the hardware. My Kaleidescape players have multiple video outputs and they sound just as good as the DMP. And they have no functionality issues what-so-ever.

Anyone else experiencing some kind of weird low level distortion when playing SACD’s, in stereo SACD mode? Can only be heard during quiet passages. I’m hearing it when playing the Telarc hybrid SACD Carmina Burana. Very evident at the beginning of track 4. I had this issue when I first purchased the DMP and had to reinstall the firmware, which fixed it. It’s now back again with this latest firmware update. This is really frustrating, along with some other glitches, that are really tainting my otherwise positive experience with this great gear.

My DMP has developed another quirk: it now plays the start of “every” disc then stops, when I hit the play button it is a toss of the coin if it will start playing from the beginning of the disc, or simply restart where it stopped… I have to mute the preamp because sometimes it’s a loud transient burst of sound. Very frustrating !!

I, too, don’t see the point of the art work being displayed - but I can see it from the other side that some owners want that feature… but surely only it worked as advertised.
It is this robbing of Peter to pay Paul that frustrates me. Because aspects of the functionality with my DMP that worked very well pre 3.06 are now compromised and / or broken.
Conceptually flawed. And I have serious doubts that the DMP will work properly. But I do hope I am proved to be wrong.

I just want to play my music without angst.
What this has brought home to me is I won’t be buying the TSS at it’s launch… I will wait and read all the reports …

2 Likes

Clutching at straws here but I have downloaded another 3.06 to a new (I always use brand-new) SD cards; and the quirkiness mentioned above has sorted itself out… might just be a false dawn I will just have to wait and see how it pans out… It is like it’s possessed…!

2 Likes

Restrict your reading to owner reports in these forums, don’t trust anything a reviewer writes in the commercial press.

It will not be sound quality that makes or breaks TSS, it will be functional robustness. Any quirks such as those experienced through the history of the Direcstream DAC series will not be tolerated by buyers at that price point. It really must be “right” on day 1.

1 Like

Of course, and I think it goes without saying that the TSS will be musically incredible, possibly amazing… That I have no doubts about. All of the PSA products I own sound wonderful. But as it stands just now with the flakiness of the DMP I will wait until I read reports from owners of the TSS… I know Ted will create something extra special.

2 Likes

I wonder how many others here would not be as keen to be early adopters of new products in the future after the DMP experience. I also won’t buy TSS without it getting some market penetration first and glowing reports from owners. If I bought a TSS and it had just 1% of the problems my DMP had on day one would trigger a buyers remorse return. But I’m almost sure it won’t come to that. At this level the TSS has to be right…I can be more tolerant of things not quite right at the DMP price point knowing they will eventually get fixed over time, but not something at TSS price point.

I too am not a big fan of the touchscreen. Just way too quirky for what it’s worth. I’m hoping the next PSA ‘cd only’ transport has no problems in functionality,but in reality…I won’t be holding my breath.
For those of us who do not have a huge ‘sacd’ library… it would be nice to be awarded a large trade in allowance when the time comes moving on from the less than ideal DMP. A redbook only transport is really my main focus this late in the game.