DMP Upgrade 3.13 released

Or…enjoy what we have and be thankful for it.:joy:

1 Like

Bostik super glue… It’s the best glue but the downside is the 689.25 hours running-in time…
Just run your DMP/thumb drive with 3.13 until it settles, or until you adjust to it, and just stop fretting - think of your health, you will end up giving yourself a 3.10/3.13 stomach ulcer…!

1 Like

Yup. You would be correct. The differences I heard last night vs when I loaded 3.13 were substantiatial as I noted in my post last night.

Hi Gary. OK well after 3.10 reinstall last night took all of 10 min for the glory to return. Massive open enveloping incredibly deep soundstage with air and distance between instruments, vocals 2D4(!!), dynamics and frequency extension that goes on forever.

In my system, I didn’t detect any loss of instrumental weight at all. Bottom end full and incredibly detailed. In fact after 2 hours listening time I experienced sonic texture and bliss more so then it even was on last load.

Superlative on all levels.

Contrasting, 3.13 was a sonic mess. No instrument separation, a thick blanket, dynamcly constricted, etc.

3.10 allowed musicians to exist in my room!

Hoping whatever is down the road brings 3.10 amazement with fixes for everyone’s DMP.

1 Like

I’ve never read such lengthy discussions in owner forums of other products about all these type of things, with the flipping of softwares too and fro. Normally you just run an update and it’s all done and life is good, no further discussion required. The DMP is just so different from everything else.

1 Like

It’s a unique product. You should treat yourself and discover what you are missing out on :joy:

1 Like

20 posts were split to a new topic: Grandioso P1X

3.13 is sounding really nice today.

2 Likes

Is it a known bug that in 3.13 DSD is not downsampled to 88,2/24 anymore, if a non-PS Audio-DAC (or DAC that can handle DSD from the DMP) is connected? Seems I have not played a SACD since I updated, today I tried. The display says DSD64 instead of 88,2/24, the disc starts to play, but I hear no sound. For testing, I reinstalled 3.10 and downsampling is working again. Looks like I have to run 3.10 again…

I should add that this happens with every SACD that I tried and that these are Hybrid SACDs.

Anyone has the same problem?

Not sure what is going on here, but the DMP can only transmit the DSD layer of an SACD to a PS Audio DAC. A hand-shake is required to hand off the encrypted DSD signal. Your previous experience with 88.2/24 is what should be happening. Odd that your DAC shows DSD, though the lack of sound may indicate the hand-shake is not occurring.

I was curious what interface you were using to your DAC, I2S, Coax, AES/EBU?

It’s not the DAC that is showing DSD64, it is the DMP - instead of 88,2/24 as is expected for my setup (and has been working fine before). My DMP is connected to a Lyngdorf amp using SPDIF. Seems the DMP now is not recognizing that it is NOT connected to a PS Audio DAC. The Lyngdorf info says: “Format: PCM, Sample rate: 176,4KHz, Peak level: -99,9 dB”. As I said: reinstalling 3.10 brings back the expected behaviour. So I guess it’s a new bug in 3.13? Although I could have sworn I had played Hybrid-SACDs with 3.13 already without this problem, that is probably not the case. I’m normally not paying much attention to whether a disc has an SACD layer or not, because in the past I didn’t have the option at all. Well, I downgraded to 3.10 for now. And have informed Barry about this problem.

Coax. It’s all that the both units have in common.

While Lyngdorf is offering an HDMI module for their amps, there’s probably no hope that they will ever support PS Audio’s I2S. Or PS Audio licensing it to them… Would be a dream if it could handle DSD that way :slight_smile: So for now: Coax, using a very nice Oyaide cable… The combination works extremely well for me…

That would explain why you do not get sound form the DAC when the DMP is trying to output DSD. I do not believe that DSD can be supported over Coax. If for some reason the DMP is trying to send DSD the handshake signal must be stuck on in the DMP. I sent an email to Barry Solway who is working on the coding.

Ok, I misunderstood where the DSD was displaying. Each update of the DMP has brought a new “feature”, not always a welcome one. You could try forcing the DMP to play the CD layer of a hybrid SACD and see if it plays Ok. That would at least isolate it to the playing of the SACD layer as the problem.

Yeah you’re probably trying to play a Single Layer SACD that doesnt have a CD layer.

1 Like

One should be able to play even a single layer SACD into any dac with the DMP it would simply down sample it to 24 bit 88.2khz. It sounds like a fix in 3.13 has some how affected that ability. Not to worry Barry will take care of it!

Yes, it plays the Red Book version.

No, it’s a Hybrid-SACD. I do not own any single layer SACDs.

Excellent! Now the PS Audio folks need to make a note of it and try to reproduce for themselves … fingers crossed!

1 Like