Jay's Audio CDT2-MK2

I have an early DMP, and with the exception of a very occasional blip,
it has worked fine. Don’t use artwork and limit my drinking near the
transport.

4 Likes

Well the folks at Oppomods completely failed to respond to my email questions. Alvin OTOH, the Jay’s Audio worldwide distributor, answers emails within minutes. I ordered a silver CDT2-Mk2 and a spare Phillips CDM4 laser sled assembly last night. Very much looking forward to its arrival. I guess my black PWT will be finding a new home…

1 Like

@MTB_Vince just curious why you would replace your PWT with another transport? My PWT has worked flawlessly for many years.

Ditto, what KC asked? I bought my PWT used (3rd owner) a year ago. It works nicely.
Chas

I suffer from much the same compulsion as the rest of you @ kcleveland123 & @ 1cdfoley.

• I’m constantly striving to hear/see more and better that which is contained on the various media which populates my music and movie collection. So that would be reason #1.

• Reason #2 would be that while the PWT was indeed a great sounding transport, mine always made disconcerting “garbage disposal” noises upon initial loading. Said noises might have been becoming more noisome over time (or that may have been my imagination).

• #3 would be that my understanding is that the original, reportedly preferred replacement drive for the PWT is essentially unobtainable. I was able to purchase a spare complete Jay’s Audio/Phillips CDM4 sled very reasonably.

• And finally reason #4 becomes apparent when you meet the Jay’s CDT2 in person and compare it to the PWT. The Jay’s transport is built like a $10k flagship product from Esoteric or the like. The PWT and any other well reputed silver disc spinners (like the Meridian 598 pictured to the left of the CDT2 which I use for DVD-Audio) less so.

1 Like

Fair enough however, the PWT is unique in that it produces bit perfect output (no error correction or interpolation) because it reads and re-reads the disk as data just like a computer. That’s why the optical drive is somewhat simple and not as mechanically elegant as some high end players. In theory this should lead to better sound at least in my experience.
Thanks,
Kurt

1 Like

Your are right. The PWT extracts the data rather than recovering it on the fly. That is why it has a large buffer. The DMP does not.

Can you discuss the preamp a bit? Is that unit associated with NSB Cables?

Best,
-JP

I had zero complaints with my PWT. I had zero hesitation unplugging it and setting it aside when my CDT2-MK2 arrived. I have zero interest in switching back, the CDT2 sounds better and is built like a tank. My flac files came from a drive similar to what is in the PWT. I get what is going on inside it. Once you have a CDT2 in your system the questions are answered.

Or you can wait for the release of the next PS Audio transport. I believe it will be good too.

I think the Jay’s transport looks great and glad you’re enjoying it thoroughly. In my stack the only top loading device is my turntable. Disc spinner has to be front loading for me.

1 Like

When you read why it is a top loader it becomes a preference. For me anyway. You may not be surprised to learn it is not particularly fast reading the disc at startup. That is because it does not have a computer or DVD or BluRay drive in it. It’s an audio only drive, the laser assembly rotates instead of moving in a straight line, etc.

But I get your point. As I own and choose to hang on to more than 2500 cds, I made this choice.

Note turntable on each side of it…

2 Likes

Congrats on the Jay’s Audi0 CDT2! I wish I hadn’t sold my PWT years ago, but I have been using my AudioLab 6000CDT for a month and it’s a wonderful transport, so I can recommend that as an affordable alternative transport.

I’m using mine with a PS Audio NuWave DAC (non-DSD) and a PS Audio HPA and Oppo PM-1 in a bedroom system. Nice isolation components, nice power cords and interconnects and. . . wow, very satisfying sound.

1 Like

Does the Jay’s Audio CDT2 -mk2 pass the sub code flag to the dac over i2s? It is necessary for proper deemphasis on disk that use pre emphasis. If not but it does the deemphasis before sending the data out like the DMP does that would still be ok.

I have no idea.

I can’t believe you bought one without knowing that. Dude, you’re taking risks in your old age!

If you owned any disks, I have a few, that use preemphasis they would play back with excessive highs. The boost is 10 db. So either you have no issue or you have not come across any disks using it. You would definitely notice!

Of the 2500+ discs I own, I doubt ten of them use pre-emphasis.

But I will accept the judgement of my peers and feel the appropriate amount of shame.

(With emphasis)

5 Likes

I have not seen a CD with the pre-emphasis flag set for years. I am always certain there is no flag on the CDs I create for others. I have never had anyone ask for it.

I have a limited number but they do exist. You are right about self recorded disks not using deemphasis. Some software will allow for it but it really serves no purpose.

1 Like

I use mastering software for creating discs for clients. I can easily set the flags for pre-emphasis, copy protection, etc.

1 Like