New Forum - Tips and Tricks, Problems?

Does anyone else experience problems with squashed topic headers an a mobile device of any kind?

Odd. Do others experience this with iThingees of any kind?

Both portrait and landscape look and work great on my Android Samsung S7 Edge.

I spoke with the developers and it’s because you’re in Desktop mode. Click the hamburger menu at the top (three horizonatl bars) and switch to Mobile and the should fix it.

Thanks, Paul.

If I switch to desktop while on my phone I can replicate the issue. Good to know.

Yep that fixed it! Thanks Paul!

I have added the ability to accept a post as the answer/solution to the original question posed by a thread.

As the OP (topic creator) you will have a button that allows you to accept a subsequent post as an answer:

Capture

Cool feature

I think it may become quite useful.

I invoked it on this thread as it is appropriate and so that people can see how it works.

I think this is a fantastic feature. Especially with very long threads with numbers sub/off topics - it helps to efficiently seek out the only thing one may be looking forward.

I am really digging this peachy keen forum software!

Hi, everyone!

Please remember not to quote other’s posts in your reply.

One of the wonderful benefits of the new software is the Reply button next to each post. By clicking on this button you are indicating to all to whom you are replying. And, by doing so, your reply will contain a neat little button in the upper right of your post which, when clicked, displays the post to which you are responding. For example, Capture

This post demonstrates the above so you can try it out. I replied to my last post in this thread.

Thanks!

3 Likes

I must have had some bad beef for lunch: I have no idea what you’re talking about but I’m just not going to read it again: one of the benefits of old man-ness…

This points up another issue - it is not clear to anyone else what post I am responding to, despite the arrow indicating Brodric, in this case…which Brodric post?

You’re in worse shape than me

Click on said arrow. (Or the little arrow in the upper right corner of a quote…)

That may or may not be - but I was using your post as an example of what I am talking about. Is it clear to everyone, despite the arrow, etc. Exactly which Brodric post I was responding to (that you had no idea what I was talking about)? Sorta helps if it’s clear what I was responding to.

Admittedly this is an OT subthread, but is about the New Forum functionality.

And, yep Ted - just wondering how many are aware of that. If you just read the whole thread without clicking arrows, it’s a different experience.

Who is this?:sunglasses:

Thank you, Ted. I’m sorry I have not been around recently to explain how to see the post to which a member has replied.

As Ted notes, just click on the little curved arrow or avatar in the upper right of a post to see the original post to which the member is responding.

For this to work, when responding to a specific post please click on the “Reply” in the bottom right of the post. This links your reply to this post.

If your reply is generic, like adding an album to the What are you Spinning? thread, click on the “Reply” at the very bottom of the thread. This makes clear you are not responding to any post specifically.

It is a very slick, clean, efficient system. It is particularly nice for those, like Paul, who respond to posts via email. I greatly appreciate not reading content over and over again as people quote and quote and requote . . .

But manual snippets of quotes from a post another poster chooses to reply to - even those just a few words long - are subsequently getting shanghai’d and deleted. I found it easier keeping track of the flow of things via that method.

1 Like

It is typically unnecessary to quote any portion of a post. Occasionally, however, a brief manual quote taken from a long post is helpful. See, e.g., jazznut’s excellent use of this feature here. Ted’s post, to which jazznut is reply, is long and complex.

Unfortunately, however, there are a very few who will quote all two sentences of a two sentence post, quote extensively the post at the bottom to which they are responding (it is directly above your reply for goodness’ sake - we do not need to read the post twice before getting to your reply), quote from a post to then make a generic comment, etc. I delete some of these, trim others. Please keep in mind more than half of our colleagues read the forum on mobile phones and tablets were efficiency is greatly valued.

Yes, the system is different from that typically used in forums. However, given the positive feedback I have received I think we are on the right track - especially given how few typically email to indicate they are happy - while complainers are very vocal and do not hesitate to instantly email with their complaints. :slight_smile:

If you, or anyone else, wants to discuss this further please post in the new forum thread. This thread is a bit of a mess already, is fun, and I would hate to ruin it with conversation focused on procedure.

Sorry last procedural post, Elk.

You said: “ (it is directly above your reply for goodness’ sake - we do not need to read the post twice before getting to your reply)”

This is part of the issue. It is often NOT directly above your reply. You can be replying to something 3 pages back, yesterday, 18 posts earlier today, or, if you are online at the time and replying in real time - MAYBE yours will be the next post.

I am sure people stopped complaining about the new forum software because it was made clear there was no point in doing so. I find it very hard to follow conversations within a thread because of the choices you have made. You allow almost no quoting to take place because it is your preference and you blow off what others might think. Because of this, people often have no idea what comments apply to what posts.

2 Likes