New SR Master fuse review vs AM M1 and Purple to follow

Sounds like you need some new fuses to try.

2 Likes

Hey luca…in mysystem your fuse orientation is correct…

However for Donald it is ymmv…

Hope it works out!!

Best wishes

1 Like

Luca, I recall AM stated their fuses are non-directional (but they are). So, I believe they put the paper wrap on the fuse randomly. Unlike SR fuses with mark at each end, there is no hard mark for AM fuse. Therefore the only way to find out is to test it out.

When I had the M-1 fuse in P15, the direction of M is different from the one in MK2.

1 Like

I agree with you, you need to listen to each fuse for every components, let your ears judge which direction sounds better. Anyhow I found all my AM-1s sounding better in the same direction, coherently so to speak. And all the SR Purples, too.
Maybe a psycho effect influenced my ears, my mind requires a coherent logic, maybe I was lucky and all my fuses are labeled correctly.
Curious to know if the coming fuses can confirm that, being one per model (AM-1 + SR Purple + SR M). Never seen the mark on the Purples, thanks for sharing this info, need a new pair of glasses I’m growing older!

1 Like

Try to start the M-1 opposite of your others. Maybe you will like it better!:laughing:

After I switched back the direction of Master fuse, the sound is a lot better now. But am I hearing better sound or am I hearing the sound I like better? How the mind works is strange.

1 Like

After all this time your gear and your tastes mirror mines, so I’ll go first in your same direction for sure.
Even if a second regenerator (and all the other things room related) will enormously increase the variables.

1 Like

I’m feeling far too interested in one of these new fuses to replace the SR Purple in my amp. Reading the above it seems a no brainer. Can I ask, does anyone have any experience with the Purple AND QSA Yellow or Violet who could shed some light on how the new fuse differs from all three?
Cheers

5 -6 hours on my 2 Master fuses and my impressions from last night.
When the music is pristine :-
Rolling Stones - Street Fighting Man, Honky Tonk Woman, The Last Time

• the fuses lower the noise floor allowing the instruments to have their own space, guitars and their reverb are very clean and clear, vocals are pin point sharp.
    Van Morrison Greatest Hits, the early ‘Them’ songs again very clear but with a sense of urgency and vibrant, again, vocals pin point. Later stuff with vocals closed miked, vocals sound much larger.
    Now the magic bit :-1:
    Kate Bush - Hounds of Love - remastered edition. This disc is not so well recorded and the vocals can be quite shrill in places, the crescendo in running Up that Hill can be very hard to listen too.
    With the Master fuses the recording is not as shrill, instruments can be slightly recessed but vocals are just on the correct side of being shrill the crescendo sounds fine.

Tried my home theatre briefly, watched some of All Quiet on the Western Front on Netflix in 4K.
I had to turn the brightness

down slightly to restore the black level, colors looked very well saturated, the german uniforms looked especially realistic.
I’ve attached a screenshot, taken by my ordinary smartphone while film was playing, Netflix darkens everything when paused to prevent burn in on oled tv’s.

1 Like

I have a yellow and violet at my home right now. if we’re comparing QSA Yellow and SR Purple, QSA is sweeter, and more relaxed, with good textures, and Purple has better bass, better trebles, and details. I preferred Purple.

QSA Violet is better than QSA Yellow, and more senior level than SR Purple. But I’m waiting for SR Master here in Ukraine :ukraine: to make a comparison. I hope Master will arrive in April.

4 Likes

Hope you and your family are safe and well in Ukraine! :pray:

4 Likes

+1

1 Like

Call me persistent! I cannot accept the fact that I may have the worst Master fuse among this group. So, I played with my fuse directions again. The best combo I found:

1. SR Master in P15 is no question. S side goes into the holder is much
    better
  2. Purple in BHK pre. The R side goes into the holder has made an
    instant improvement than the other way
  3. Purple in PST. Either way sounds fine, but ultimately the R side goes
    into the holder too
  4. M-1 fuse in MK2. The V part of M pointing towards the holder is better

Interestingly, I found with three SR fuses, one or two against their recommended direction gives better SQ than with all follows or all against.

I only had SR M for two days and the SQ has improved, but it has not matched the best sound I have experienced yet. However, the preferred directions are set after so many tries. These tryouts are not helping the system to settle. I am done with fuse directions, again.

1 Like

thank you! sometimes better, sometimes not.
I am lucky I have audio and fuses to play :slight_smile: it helps to keep my mind healthy nowadays

2 Likes

you can go the other way, and try to burn in the fuse somewhere else for 5-6 days, in the router for example. and then you can test it on peak performance in audio setup and easily understand right fuse direction.

1 Like

Thanks, I will stay with my current setup to see how the sound evolves. I am in a happy place now. I promised my wife this is the last time I will go behind the rack (for this week anyway) :laughing:

2 Likes

then we will wait for your daily updates :grin:

1 Like

Good luck Max to your family and your entire nation. Hope this absurd war ends as soon as possible, happy to have the privilege to share with you silly audiophile comments if this can help you in some ways.

5 Likes

thank you, friends!
@luca.pelliccioli it helps a lot, man! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

God Bless you max_smith and your family …

Best wishes

1 Like

So another SR Master report at 526 hours…the SR Master’s soundstage, soundscsape getting more
cinemascope, cinerama, imax with high def technicolor (borrowing a poster’s adjective :+1:)
quality of sound…I think sound can be characterized in a visual way…

The S of SR into the fuse cup in my P15 and AM M1 in my Parasound JC5 with the base of the M in the fuse cup as well…

It seems as if instruments as well as vocals have more of their own but still larger space representing
the venue where the recording was done.

So again is the SR Master fuse worth the near $600.00 US ?..for me yes…for others it may well be
ymmv …Only trying one will tell you yay or nay…

Best wishes

2 Likes