PST Firmware Update 2.4.4 is Available

So what’s the b.s. you refer to? My PST was essentially unusable prior to 2.4.4, now it performs as advertised. That’s a good thing. I do have issue with the tiny display and the fact it doesn’t match any other PS gear, but it’s a bit late for that …

1 Like

That’s the bs I’m referring to.

1 Like

The firmware is only operational code it will not impact sound quality. Placebo effect might convince some that it does.

2 Likes

Sorry, did not make my post clear.
“Download” I mean download the FW to PC/Mac, and update with USB key. (I am worry about the extra noise from network interface. So, I have my PST network off, only do the update via USB.)

1 Like

“Input” my take is the remote and ctrl on PST. I think this one fix the PST freezes up bug - either from long standby-by, or during the playback. @jamesh (thanks!) can confirm this.

1 Like

This reminded me during the beta testing period, FW update, some of us did hear the sound difference. Well, as long as sound better, it is a good update! :slight_smile:

My PST works great since day one from 10 months ago. I don’t know I want to do the latest FW. It may do more harm than good in my case.

2 Likes

+1 I don’t feel the need for this update.

1 Like

Prior to 2.4.4, correct?

To those not having issues with the PST not responding to the remote or front panel buttons there probably isn’t a reason to update to 2.4.4. The bigger question is why this is happening to some units and not others. I would hope James or Paul will respond on Monday with more detail. I’m happy it worked but still a little perplexed.

1 Like

No. I downloaded–successfully-- yesterday.
I just rebooted again and it’s working fine right now.
I’ll give it a few days. Maybe the 8th time is the charm.
I must say that while it’s working, I’m smitten by it’s sound quality. I still have a borrowed Jay’s MK3 and to my ears, the PST sounds much more analog.

2 Likes

@RonP Glad the reboot seems to have helped. Keep us posted if you still have trouble.

After talking with Barry why there would be this inconsistency with units, he mentioned it’s because of the clock signal slightly drifting. All units can suffer from it and vary slightly. This slight drift is also what causes some of the freezing. Barry recommends everyone update to 2.4.4 because he and Tom did some tweaking and optimization with the CPU. Overall functionality of the unit is improved. The optimization changes how the clocks are used which shouldn’t allow this drifting to cause the freezing and lock ups. This will have no change to sound quality, just controlling the unit.

12 Likes

Great info, James

I don’t know if a reboot after a download actually does anything, but it seems to have improved it’s responsiveness so far. I hope the issue is resolved because it sounds so good.

1 Like

Thanks James! The clock drifting could explain why the unit worked after a reboot then after a short time it didn’t. My guess is I have a very drift prone clock.

2 Likes

Good to know.

2 Likes

Does this fix address the inability to read a CD/SACD or USB as well as the drawer open close button and remote control response. Or is it just the drawer open close button and remote control response. Mine would Open/Close but would not read a disc or recognize the USB stick.

What is causing the clock instability, and tendency for it to drift to the degree it impacts functionality in the first place?

One thing to add … is the “Clock” referred to part of the transport that you are buying or something that PS Audio designed and procures separately?

1 Like

Some are just susceptible to placebo!

1 Like