PST Firmware Update 2.4.4 is Available

Then you are describing me exactly.
I hear an improvement in sound quality.

1 Like

I guess that could be a good thing if it makes you happy! It is kind of like changing the wipers on you vehicle and perceiving that you are getting better gas mileage.

2 Likes

I typically do serious listening with displays turned off on all my components. The need to “press twice” seemed like a peculiar anomaly to me. It took me awhile to make the connection of the display needing to be on before commands could be given. Aside from that, it seems to work reliably.

1 Like

I agreed. It should be when you press the command, the lights on and command should be simultaneously with one press. Maybe PS Audio can correct that in future update.

3 Likes

Anyone else unable to do the over the air update? It’s never once worked for me, despite having the unit connected to my home wi-fi router.

I tried multiple times with Wi-Fi. Gets to 80% then quits.

I never even get that far. The display reads exit, which according to the owners manual, means the unit is up to date. Hopefully there will be an update to fix this.

1 Like

Instructions to update firmware on a PerfectWave SACD Transport.

Updating over an Internet Connection

1. The unit must be attached to the Internet either via Wifi or Ethernet. Refer to the manual for instructions on how to do so.
  2. Go into the menus with a long press of the Eject/ Menu button.
  3. Using the right arrow key. scroll through the menus until you get to the System sub-menu.
  4. Press the center button to enter the System menu.
  5. Scroll down to the Update sub-menu item.
  6. Press the center button to enter the Update sub-menu.
  7. If an update is available, a pop-up will appear telling you the new version. You can accept the update or exit.
  8. If an update is not available, a pop-up will appear telling you this. The only option is to exit the update sub-menu.
  9. Once you select to update the unit, the unit will reboot. Do NOT unplug or remove power.
  10. The Logo LED will turn on solid blue for a few seconds.
  11. The Logo LED will begin to blink rapidly. It should blink around 25 to 30 times.
  12. The update will complete and the unit will immediately initialize.

Updating with a USB thumb drive

1. Unzip this package and copy the image.bin file to the root directory of a USB thumb drive.
  2. Place the thumb drive in the USB slot on the back of the unit marked FW.
  3. Using the front panel Logo LED button, place the unit in standby.
  4. Using the switch in the back of the unit, power off the unit and then power it back on.
  5. The Logo LED will turn on solid blue for a few seconds.
  6. The Logo LED will begin to blink rapidly. It should blink around 25 to 30 times.
  7. The update will complete and the unit will immediately initialize.

In some cases, the unit may freeze on the PS Audio splash screen. If this happens, remove the USB drive from the back of the unit and power cycle the unit again as in step 4.

Note that if you update the firmware and leave the USB thumbdeive in the unit, the firmware will not be updated again if you were to put the unit into Idle or to power off from the back panel. The unit will detect the firmware is the same and skip the update. However, PS Audio recommends that the USB thumb drive be removed during normal operation of the device.

2 Likes

Yes, I followed those exact instructions every time I tried to do an over the air update. It’s never worked once.

Thank-you for sharing as it is nice to have it handy.

It sure does. Barry seems quite happy with this update and appears the PSTs are behaving quite well after it.

2 Likes

I must be one of the lucky ones who’s PST was behaving well with the previous firmware! Lets see how this one goes!

1 Like

My PST has been free of any defect past 4 months and the new firmware didn’t change anything. I wished the 2.4.4. fixed the problem of slow ejection function but I don’t see any difference.

James, thanks for this information and to the programmers for their work on the firmware. I purchased my PST last fall when they were on sale. My unit arrived a few days ago and I will set it up tomorrow. (I wanted to do some careful listening to the DMP that the PST will replace, but this has been difficult; the weather in the Northeast has been so cold and dry that the noisy humidifiers have been running constantly.)

I was disturbed when I saw the posts on the forum about the unreliability of this new player. I decided to replace my DMP mainly because it has never worked well in terms of functionality (sound quality is excellent). The idea that the new unit would have the same kind of problems was a real bummer. Hopefully the updated firmware will prevent any problems. Otherwise, it will be going back to Boulder.

No real explanation was ever provided for why the DMP worked fine for some people and poorly for others. I wonder if the drifting clock issue might have been the cause here also.

1 Like

The DMP code was really tricky. Trying to make Oppo’s board, our main board, and Oppo’s drive to play nice together was not trivial. The drives also had to be matched or “paired” with the main board. I’m not clear what this process involved, but I guess was not very simple. Whether or not clock drift was an issue, I’m not certain. If a fix for the DMP were possible like 2.4.4 for the PST, I’m sure Tom and Barry would have happily done it for the DMP.

After two weeks of vacation, my system is stone cold. The first thing I did was follow your instruction for updating PST. It was sweet and easy without issue. Now I just need to wait for the system to warm up for a day. Thanks!

2 Likes

Glad it worked.
To be honest, the instructions are from PS Audio—I simply copied them from the download text file.

2 Likes

Your post is easier to read and what is a menu? I never read that!

1 Like

You can do the same anytime—just paste the text into the word processor of your choice, Mac Notes, or similar program.
Menu is discussed and described on pages 15-18 of the PST owners manual that comes with the unit.

1 Like

Glad to hear this. My unit arrived shipped at the end of December (it arrived here in Indy on New Year’s Eve), and I haven’t had any problems with it (though it’s been sidelined for a couple of weeks now, with my SGCD going into the shop). I’d been wondering whether I should leave well enough alone and not update it. Sounds like I should go ahead.