PST Owners: Need feedback on an issue I am having

The team is aware something is going on. We’re trying to understand whether it’s a software thing with the drives not responding or if it’s hardware tolerance. Because we are not running into the issues here during test, they’re looking into the possibility of something during shipping causing it, along with internal temp. causing the behavior.

2 Likes

Thanks James. We appreciate hearing that The Factory are hearing us.
I can tell you that my issue is repeatable in my system.
If I press the “off” button on my remote, when I wake it back up by pressing “on” from the remote, it wakes up but becomes unresponsive without several tries to eject, reload, etc.
However, if I leave the PST lit up consistently, it works perfectly.
It’s as if when put in standby, it’s little brain gets scrambled.

2 Likes

I have an early beta PST, and since those bugs have been addressed, I have not had a problem.
I keep my unit always in standby. My issue is that it does not respond as well via the remote off axis.
That is, my gear is off to the side and the BHK pre and DACSR respond first try but the PST takes several remote touches. I wonder if the infrared reception could be bumped? Yes, I have new batteries in the remote.

I have the same off axis response issue with my remote. The small receiver port is not up to the task.

So I drill a bigger hole in the faceplate?

The receiver must be embedded in the display so by all means drill away😊

Not to be a smart ass, but did you peel off the protective plastic from the display/sensor area?

It took a day+ for me to notice it :thinking:

2 Likes

In my situation running it continuously from a CD drive and then from a USB stick may have caused it. As James said between shipping and heat. What is weird is the PST had significant difficulty coming out of USB “read mode”. A night of continuous USB playback, or so I thought, and the following morning when I checked the transport it was clearly not reading the USB stick. That was the first indication of something amiss. The second was it would not read a CD or SACD. Placing it in standby and trying yet again had no positive effect. From there it went into the proverbial ditch. I do appreciate the PSA team getting back to the Forum Community on this. :dizzy_face:

I still haven’t noticed it. Thanks for the heads-up.

1 Like

I have had a “no play” with my newly received “The Moon Leans In” Hybrid SACD on the SACD layer. PST just sits there. It will play from the Data Disk, eg, 192/24. The CD does play on my Denon DCD-600NE just fine.

PST plays the “Audiophile Masters Vol III” just beautifully on SACD.

I do have the door closing clunk and the control ring is a bit off:

But otherwise things have been great Though I must admit with the PST on a north-south axis I have a strong instinct to center the gyro compass:

1 Like

The PST is definitely a clunker! That was the first thing I noticed about mine. I would not put up with the rotated switch ring. Hopefully they can fix that and the issues with playing the dsd layer of the disc you mentioned.

3 Likes

I suggest you don’t delay in contacting Mark Simpson at PS Audio Technical support.

2 Likes

Seems like this problem many of you are having applies to recent batch of PST that were recently released. Sounds like PS Audio is stepping up and working to resolve the issue.

I have had mine several months and I have not had any significant problems. I leave mine in standby whenever it is not in use and I use the remote to turn it on and off. As I recall, I had one issue where the unit seemed to be hung up, but turning it off using the switch in the back of the unit resolved the issue. Outside of that, my unit has been trouble free.

The concern I had when I started this thread was more of a feature that is not baked into the product software, so it did not do what I expected. I got the impression that PS Audio has no plans to address the issue.

I do find the PST transport mechanism to be picky with the placement of the CD in the drawer. It is not forgiving if a CD is placed slightly off center, so occasionally I get the no disc message. The problem is easy to resolve, so I try to be very careful when inserting a disc to prevent this from happening.

Other than those minor items, I have really enjoyed using my PST. Hands down it is the best sounding transport I have ever heard.

2 Likes

I’ve had mine for 9 days—not one problem, nada, zilch.

1 Like

The control ring would drive me nuts.

3 Likes

You mentiond placing a cd off center in the drawer. I do not like the very shallow rounded provisions for the discs. It is too easy for a disc to slide out of position when the drawer is closing. Both the DMP and the original PWT had much safer trays and they did not clunk when they close.

2 Likes

You described the issue better than I did. The drawer is too shallow compared to most CD players. If the disc is not perfectly seated, it will not read the disc and you get a no disc error. It happened to me a number of times when I first received it. I have just learned to be sure the disc is properly seated before closing the drawer.

Yes, I do a shimmy to get each disk seated.

2 Likes

My PST killed my little brother. Finally!

3 Likes

I do that, too. I’ve had one “no-disc” error, and my lazy self tried to get it to fix itself by repeated opening and closing of the drawer from my listening seat, via the remote, but no luck. I had to actually get up out of my chair and walk across the room, if you can believe it! :wink: Ever since then, when I put in a disc, I kind of shuffle it around in the tray with a finger to make sure it’s sitting in there correctly.