Sneak Peek: FR-30, now FR-80

Beautiful Design! Big, big improvement.

So 2 x 8“ opposing bass couplers in the top, 2 x 10” opposing sub woofers in the bottom part, correct?

I very much like the walnut stands/feet. Very original. They blend in with the rest of the design. I don’t know if Mrs. Mc. Gowan stepped into the design team, but the WAF seems to be accomplished.

Absolutely love the new look of the speakers but the stands don’t seem to match the design. Seems like a color match and perhaps different angles on the stands might be more desirable.

Also hoping for these to land between $10-$15k😊

2 Likes

Hey Paul. If the design of the legs is final, I highly recommend playing around with different color, finishes. A matte walnut finish and maybe a different material. The shiny finish just doesn’t look right and hardly matches any new modern furniture.

I think to put 3rd Party feet directly under the speaker is no option. Too much danger to tilt. It would need a nice DIY outrigger solution.

1 Like

I am sure PS Audio will make “aftermarket feet” to replace current ones if public demands so, and finds both sonically and aesthetically better options for those who need it.

For the looks…I find it good that they boldly make it look like no other speaker,at least not exact like I can think of any. Way to go,I am sure they will sound fantastic when ready :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Chris said you could use aftermarket spikes so other footers under the speakers if tilting was not a concern to you and the inserts would already be there if you chose to do so. As for outriggers a DIY solution is not necessary because if you Google speaker outriggers there are multiple commercial options available. As with most tall and narrow footprint speakers tilting is only an issue if you have large dogs or small children. I have neither so not a problem for me and most “audiophiles” based on current age demographics. Making a mountain out of a mole hill as usual on this site when a new product is announced.

3 Likes

I didn’t look at commercial outrigger solutions yet, but even a DIY solution wouldn’t be a big issue for me. I even made DIY faceplates for components I didn’t like the look of. Not everyone’s cup of tea though for an already expensive component, I know. But I know what you mean be the mole thing. I see it as a mixture between engagement and exaggeration what happens here and there in the forum.

Being quiet, just smart fanboy and not involved is worse imo in case of rather similar broad than mixed opinions.

1 Like

Cool. Very much like the black finish. But I’m sorry the legs gotto go, even worse in close up.

Check out Sistrum Apprentice Platforms from Star Sound Technologies…perfect match for those speakers :sunglasses:
PS Audio needs to implement those designs somehow to their line up.
Or those who want can buy them separately.

1 Like

I like the design. It’s probably still a big speaker - hard to tell on the photo’s without another reference.
Perhaps invite someone to pose next to it?

I am not really sure I like the gold trimming around the speakers and legs though, but that may be a minor issue (or optional),
Oh, and perhaps the feet may be a bit wider/thicker near the floor. I would like to be able to attach some velvet furniture gliders to it to be able to move it around.

My wife liked the design ok, but when I told her they are likely a $20k investment, she said “their looks don’t match the price tag.” For this price point, the design shouldn’t require a large percentage of buyers to hesitate or to contemplate modifications to make them more palatable on the Spouse Acceptance Factor (SAF).

I applaud the design. Like some have noted, it is unique. With ANY design, you will have plenty whom will praise and an equal amount that will criticize. Design is an art form. With some exceptions, it is often a matter of taste, rather than right or wrong.

I am not offended by the shape of the feet. I am also not offended by the wood material. I do agree that if the feet were a matte walnut, it would fit within the mid-century modern look of the rest of the speaker. And just because the speaker cabinet is glossy, does not mean the wood constructed feet should be glossy too. I would say try the feet in matte walnut and see how they look. I saw and heard the AN3’s at RMAF. I was not impressed with the looks or sound. However, based on what I see in this latest rendition, and the completely revamped technology, I will give them a second chance. It is obvious Paul and Chris went back to the drawing board with these speakers which certainly piques my interest, once again.

I feel I have found my end game speaker in my Tannoy Westminster’s but there is enough “meat on the bone” with this latest update to compel me to hear how they perform and to make an objective assessment - at least as objective as the listening environment can allow. Maybe the AN3 is not what upends my Tannoy’s but based on price point equivalents, the AN2 or AN1 could be more suitable contenders.

2 Likes

Those Tannoys are things of timeless beauty, the walnut veneer is just something else. I have walnut floors, hifi unit and speakers. Some internal bifold doors are made from cherry and the window frames are from Iroko (the windows are 9’ floor to ceiling). So for me speakers would have to have a wood veneer and black is just not an option. So the feet are OK, but not the speaker. Were I to suggest these speakers to my wife, she’d ask if they come with a shovel to dig a hole to bury me in them.

These speakers in wood would look like a Ruark unit turned on its side, just 10 times bigger.
The problem is that the curved rims would seem to make them impossible to veneer. They look like they are injection moulded anyway.

A possible issue is that gloss black attacts dust and fingerprints, you clean them and get swirls and the risk of them getting pushed over. I had this problem with PMC Fact.8, which had a beautiful gloss veneer. PMC provided a non-scratch dusting cloth, told you never to put any sort of fluid on them and take care not to push them over!

I reckon if any speaker has more than about 30% acceptance factor it’s doing well.

With all this terrific feedback (thank you!!!) it seems one path for us would be to make the feet materials in various finishes: wood, metal, colors. Then make the grille covers in various colors. That might be something we can do. We’ll not be in a position
to offer different body colors for the upper and lower cabinets - which is why we chose a rather neutral dark slate gray. We simply do not have the volume or warehouse space to stock a bevy of cabinet colors.

But this is all great feedback! Thank you all for your thoughts and contributions.

5 Likes

I guess it might be helpful for sales if you could optionally also offer a more technical/pure looking outrigger solution, too (not only in color but also in form).

Only one body color or finish really is a limitation, wow…but others have this, too, I know. I didn’t expect, those speakers are manufactured in such a mass that warehouse stock plays a major role. Probably naive.

It’s ok. These speakers are big - over 4 feet tall. You can imagine when we order the cabinets they are shipped to us in a container that is 40 feet long and 8 feet high. Huge. That probably is big enough for maybe 50 to 80 pairs. It takes an enormous amount
of warehouse space. And this is just one model of what we want to eventually be 6 models.

1 Like

Very nice design! But I would like to see metal design stand. Here are some pictures of my idea. polished aluminium stand made of one piece of aluminium sheet (bended to shape)

10 Likes

“40 feet long and 8 feet high”. Hmmm, turn that 90 degrees…Paul…are you teasing the Model 0.01? ; )

2 Likes

Width and depth?

Been following the AN3 design since inception. I liked the version before this one, but I gotta be honest…aesthetically, these leave me pretty cold. They look kinda cheap and boxy. Reminds me of the large paper shredder we have at work. Or an industrial air purifier. Or worse…A big SONOS…
The last ones had a gravitas to them. They LOOKED like they would kick your butt.These look commercial. Hate to say it.

3 Likes