Snowmass Version V2 is ready

I would load Snowmass V2, take the SD card out and erase all the files, put the SD card back in and you’ll be all set regardless of what happens: power outage, manual reboot. I don’t think you want to have Snowmass V2 reload every time the DSD reboots for any reason.

1 Like

Good point, thank you. Will shut in down and do that next time the DS DAC isn’t being used. It’s normally on most of the day.

Doesn’t have to be shut down. Just take the card out and erase the contents, put it back. Not a big issue in my experience.

Just did what you said. Nothing blew up. :slight_smile:

Thanks, again,
Joe

1 Like

I did check the firmware and revision numbers had changed but not the FPGA so can’t answer definitively. I did notice an audible change but not for the better. In simple terms it was as if the treble had been turned up and the bass down. I appreciate earlier commentary that better bass definition can be perceived as lighter but tonight’s change to 3.0.4 (3rd install overall of Snowmass) did sound a lot better. Although new this year, the DSD has had 1,000+ hours of use so don’t believe it to be burn in. I did use MControl HD to update Bridge II post Snowmass 3.0.0 second install so this is the first firmware to be updated after Bridge 3.6.17 if that helps?

Not sure what fixed it but I no longer have a “Ghost in the machine”. My DS no longer randomly wakes from sleep. I am on the latest of everything, Snowmass V2 and latest bridge II firmware.

I also use Tidal/Roon as there was some speculation that this only impacted Tidal over Roon.

Alan

Ted Exhorcised that demon I believe. Until he did you could avoid it by switching to any other input instead of the bridge.

Not I, it wasn’t FPGA related, I think it was in the control/display processor of the DS, but it could also have been affected by the bridge version, I don’t know.

2 Likes

Yamad - is that your pic? You should consider auditioning for the next James Bond.

1 Like

Just did my V2 update, I was so excited when in came in the mail anxious to see what’s new when suddenly…
UpLoad is complete… and… what in the world… ???
My screen is upside down :flushed:… surprise flowed by laughter that gradually turned to concern. Then I remembered something that I recently learned from Ted. “Calibrate your screen”
So I did and screen is right side up again. So if it happens to you that’s what you should do. Happy listening :ear:

of course he ‘feel free’ to change, he said he compared the 2 versions…

And your point is?

I’m not sure I like the way volume management works now. I guess I “get” why when set to Variable it now resets to 25 on power cycling the DS, but I preferred the previous mode of restarting to whatever the last volume setting was at. I see I can do that with Fixed, but if I take that option I can’t tweak the DS volume at all after I set it to a nominal value.

2 Likes

A wonderful example of being unable to please everyone. Every alternative has its adherents.

It is a tough call.

1 Like

I agree. It seems that this workaround was created for the very, very few who don’t check gain/volume before beginning playback after a reboot.

I still predict it will generate more support questions because the ‘volume is too low’ than the occurrence of someone not checking gain settings first.

I’m OK with fixed, and I don’t reboot my DS except for OS updates…it seems there could still be a non-fixed, remember last setting option.

1 Like

Just curious. I’m still on Snowmass V1. Does V2 sound any different?

Not to me.

Oh, I can learn to live with it. I’m just not sure what drove the change. I may have missed it in some previous post.

No change for me.

Not at all----which is fine with me.