Speaker cables what are you using for your system?

Hi, new member here from the Netherlands.

For my setup i’m using Ansuz Acoustics A series speakercables. These are very neutral and detailed, not cheap but after using several brands and different types these work amazing. Music and voices are setup with more layers and it looks like it’s all done in a more relaxed way while on the other hand the speed and rythem is very fast. Had AQ and Goldkabel Executive cables in the €1000 to €2000 range that sounded like the music wasn’t as fluid and had something holding them back.

System: Gato Audio Dia400s nmp, Audionet ART cd-player, Scansonic MB 3.5, All Ansuz A series cables ( Powercords, AES XLR, Speakercable )

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting!

Interesting… I moved from 44’s to Robin Hood and it was night and day. So different in fact at first I really considered sending them back because the sound was jacked up. Ends up I had to alter positioning a bit and bring the speakers closer together.

Edit - this is all while having Thunder power cord on dedicated line.

1 Like

Welcome, enjoy the forum.

Just curious did you have new folk hero AQ or the older AQ cables?

Had the older version, Gibraltar and tried Rocket 88. Also had the nrg10 with 500 connectors. Powerfull and forward mids but imo missed refinement.

My speakers do need a good match with amp, source, cable. Back then had the AVM CS5.2. Awesome sound, class D but sounded more like valves then topical class D. All was powerful but missed refinement.

1 Like

Hi @cxp
If you don’t mind, what was the distance between your speakers, and how close (or far) are they now?

I have to deal with asymmetry, corner on one side, open on the other. Over the past 2 months I’ve taken from 105 inches apart to 94 inches. It’s helpful to listen with good headphones to the headphone out to get a reference. The major thing I was battling was the center was blurry… something just not right.

Since I have asymmetry I recommend first focusing on the corner speaker since moving it an inch dramatically shifts bass response. After I got that dialed in, distance from corner and depth from back wall, I left that one alone completely and played with width from the speaker open to the room. This has simplified my tuning immensely. Ironically, you know when you are moving in the right direction → not just clarity or “detail,” but dynamics absolutely come alive when setup is improved. And the improvement in dynamics is throughout the room (dining area, kitchen, living combo room).

4 Likes

Thanks for the info. All the reviews point to the new AQ being very different than old models. The Rocket 44’s were much more forward than Robin Hood is. IMO forward cables may make tuning easier since they never sound dead or blurry. The Robin Hood midrange is very natural sounding to me ears, its rich and full bodied (complex) compared to the 44 which kind of homogenized the midrange.

Hi Paul172 - I am using Synergistic Research Galileo LE speaker cables and interconnects. Over time I have converted the whole system to SR cables, not all at the level of the Galileo cables. The pardon the “pun”, but the system synergy is incredible! It has taken 3 or 4 years to get the various cables upgraded to some level of SR cables. I use the Galileo cables for the main stereo system and lesser ones in the rest of the system. It has been fun looking for good used cable deals - the SR cables are so expensive I only have a couple of “New” cables. Cheers!

I’ve done a lot of fine tuning, but I am really enjoying the PS Audio xStream Reference speaker cables that were my last upgrade. Having PCOCC now in my power cables, interconnects (which also have Ohno silver) and now speaker cables has presented a wonderful synergy that gives pinpoint detail but also a lively presentation to the music.

I’m using the AQ Rocket 33 biwire 2.5m, just got it for a week, first impression the rocket 33 is not much better than my 3 years old Siesta Lab silver plate speaker cable, i seem don’t hear the crisp crystal high frequences, instead of that it’s more balance and smoother with the rocket 33 , ( not sure that the taste of sound i can get used to) but i will give couple weeks for the rocket 33 completely burn in then see how it goes.

3 Likes

Audience Au24 SE has been good service in our system (Devore 3XL + First Watt J2)

2 Likes

Triode Wire Labs

Hi @leean
In my own experience, Rocket series and Folk Heroes series take quite some time to fully burn in. It took Rocket 33 and Rocket 44 three to four months to sound best, the same with Robin Hood that I purchased in December 2020 is just opening up now. Thanks to the guys who gave me the right advice :pray:t2:

Wishing you the best.

2 Likes

Yes. The Audioquest cables seem to take a long time to burn in.

1 Like

I use the following combos with good synergy
M700 / Analysis plus Silver apex / Axis Voicebox S
Halcro MC20 / Analysis plus Black mesh oval 9 / Castle Avon 4

1 Like

Thank you @Serhan
I know that will take time for the rocket to sing well
It’s a sharing only

1 Like

I have to mention that in the past I saw Anticables Level 3 blah blah blah speaker cables for what, $349 or something fun like that. So I bought them. When they arrived I thought someone was having fun. What are these? I hooked them up and damn, I left them in for months. They were great.

So if you are using Rocket AQ Lamp cord or something questionable, give those guys under $400 and marvel at what you get. ANTICABLES made in Minnesota USA.

3 Likes

They call their product speaker wires