Synergistic Research ORANGE Quantum Fuse Vs Blue Fuse

Called again and talked to Mark. Going to send fuses with the hopes thatā€™s it.
I had ordered some tubes in the first call to PSA, from sales, as a time to replace anyway. Mark in service thought it had been resolved. Easy mistake! The universe is aligned once again! :grin: PSA once again has come through as few companies do!

1 Like

Indeed PSA outstanding customer serviceā€¦!!!

1 Like

Hi Paul - Iā€™m about to change my Signature preamp and 250 amp fuses. According to the userā€™s guide for the preamp, there is only one fuse and itā€™s accessible from the back of the unit. Is that correct? If so, what size and amperage is it? Slow blow or fast blow? Thank you, brother. - Jim Kiely (who wants to buy the fuses today for the 2:1 sale)

That is correct.

1 - Small 5x20mm (0.75") / Slow (T) / 2A

Brother - I am very thankful to you! Iā€™d be interested in hearing your response to the Orange line of fuses.

Be well!

Yes, only the one fuse which is easy to get to in the back. 2amp 5x20mm 250v Slow blow

Thank you, brother James!

1 Like

These just arrived today. I think Iā€™m going to spend some time installing them one layer at a time.

4 Likes

Your approach is correctā€¦I upgraded my blue to oranges.
1st of my oranges replaced the already wonderful blue in my
Parasound A21 power amp. Normaly there is a burn in timeā€¦
but in this case the improvement was immediateā€¦better detailed
more subtle inuendo in the music as well as slam attack decay and
dimensionalityā€¦vee I believe you will really enjoy your upgradesā€¦

You sure got a pile of them orangesā€¦

And as after thought whoever woulda thunk that an orange would
make such an improvementā€¦Shoulda gone to the grocery store sooner
and got them by the bag :innocent:

1 Like

Hi veeā€¦
Any 1st impressions on your new orange fusesā€¦mine are in the ā€œprocess of burning inā€ā€¦
will share more on that later onā€¦

Happy journeying

In my classic style, I changed a few other things shortly after installing the fuses, but in the short time where it was just fuses changed, I heard a slight improvement in bass smoothness/extension and the highs were slightly smoother (less edgy). I do feel like Iā€™m really trying to eek out that remaining 1% of optimization with these fuses. My next set of changes will be around managing EM fields between components.

1 Like

Vee thank you for sharing your findingsā€¦from my own .02
experience ā€¦wait for the fuses to burn inā€¦my oranges started out
really wellā€¦then came the funky back and forth and in between
aha good! to what a painā€¦at this point mine seem to be ā€œarriving
at a matureā€ pointā€¦

While my amp has itā€™s main 15 amp fuse, it also has 2 rail fuses per channelā€¦I donā€™t think I will upgrade those.

My Emotiva XSP1 Gen 2 pre has 3 fusesā€¦2 of these are the
main pre fusesā€¦had to run these in as wellā€¦and after buttoning my
pre back upā€¦I realized the right channel was not playing as detailed as the left channelā€¦and I thought I had it right the 1st timeā€¦not so.
Had to go back in undo some 17 screws top cover and inner cover
as well to get to these 2 guysā€¦

Once the pre was opened up againā€¦had to figure out which of the 2 was which channelā€¦fortunately I pulled out the orange tube for the right channel and replaced with stock fuseā€¦the difference was noticeableā€¦then replaced with orange fuse facing the opposite of
how I first installed itā€¦voila!! That was the ticketā€¦I left the covers
off until I was satisfied ā€¦

When the orange fuses for my power amp and P12 arrivedā€¦my A21
got upgraded from blue to orangeā€¦with my amp I knew from the blue
fuse which way to orient the orangeā€¦Right away there was a improvementā€¦

Let my amp play 1 day then my P12 got upgraded blue to orangeā€¦
again used the orientation the blue fuse had ā€¦and got it rightā€¦
At that point I had a feel for what to expect from upgrading the P12 fuse.

Now these last 2 guys are burning inā€¦about 40 + hoursā€¦
will report on these upgrades in due timeā€¦

Take it one small step at a timeā€¦the urge to press on and
get it all done is hard to keep in checkā€¦

Happy upgrading journey

1 Like

Yesā€“Directionality is important. I had to do a bit of reading to figure out the right direction to install my fusesā€“it was still never quite clear. In the PS Audio gear, I have the fuses oriented so that current is flowing towards the back of the units, and so the fuses are going from ā€œSā€ to ā€œRā€ pointing to the rear. I plan to reverse all of them together in a week to see how things sound.

For those rail fuses you havenā€™t replaced ā€“ I would suggest, if theyā€™re the glass type, to replace them with ceramic types to minimize the chance of vibrations introducing noise.

I find S to R pointing into the unit sounds best. S to the rear, R to the front.

3 Likes

Now Iā€™m even more eager to change them.

1 Like

Vee donā€™t rush it take your time to learn what the orange fuses provide for you initiallyā€¦mains 1stā€¦then really bide away the time let them burn in for about 1 week minimum 2 preferrably before upgrading your rails.

That way you can get a better grasp of what exactly the changes brought by the mains fusesā€¦

Happy sailing upgradingā€¦waiting your report as you are ableā€¦

1 Like

I added 4 orange fuses in my system yesterday and already removed 2 of them again. The 2 I removed are responsible for the powersupply of my pre-amp. The problem was the lack of organic strenght in the midrange and the impuls impact of guitar snares and piano keys. Everything became a bit to much laidback. The holographic picture was indeed better with the orange fuses.

The effect looked a lot like what the WA quantum chips does and for example the Kemp electronics Quantum approach powerline plugs do.

For now I left 2 orange fuses in my system. One is in the powersupply of my AQvox switch and the other in the powersupply of my Jcat femto netcard. Still the picture has less organic strengthā€¦ Iā€™m not satisfied yet, but hopefully this will come in time!

I was curious how this fuses would sound when they are installed against the direction. It seems the strength in the midrange and the impuls strength are better, but the holographic picture does not benefit immediately. I think I let them break in against the direction. They are in the AC side of the powersupply. So I think they should break in as normal.

Roughly how many hours burn in do your new fuses have?

The 2 fuses that ā€œseemedā€ to lack an organic midrange could
well be due to needing more burn in timeā€¦

SR says 200-300 hoursā€¦

My blues did the same thing, now my oranges which are in the
process of being burned in have also gone through lack of midrange
and lack of organic strengthā€¦but they will change back and forth
throughout the entire burn in timeā€¦Then will come into all
you could want from them.

Hope this helps

Thanks that helps indeed. They only served for 12 hours or something. There are a couple of new things in my system. Of which I was very happy until I replaced the standard fuses. I was not yet ready enough enjoying the new stuff. So I guess I went to early into the new fuses.

I will flip them back and give them the time they need.

1 Like