Synergistic Research Purple fuse price drop

Here’s a new one: I recently put a thing in my hifi that sounds so good that I don’t want to mess with it.

2 Likes

My turn now :innocent:

A couple of months ago put a pause to listening to my gear ie music.
The SR purple in my W4S pre stage 2, P15 and JC5…

Somehow…when I came back to listening again after a long hiatus,
all the ugly characteristics of the SR purple gone…system sounding
more balanced while retaining the airiness and sense of space.

So having M1s on hand put one in JC5 same tracks lost some definition
detail compared to purple…just to double check I reversed the orientation of
the M1…even so could not match the purple…very odd because earlier on
when my M1s arrived and tried them I was very giddy over them…
Tried in P15 with SR purple in JC5 and then did the opposite, SR purple in P15
with M1 in JC5…

To my ears the SR purple win out…goes to show what do I know… :thinking:

So got to listening again to Don Gruisin’s piano playing Out of Thin Air…
with the SR purples allowed more of the Don’s piano playing prowess to
shine through…

Thanks y’all for letting me but back in again…

Wishing everyone a very merry Christmas

2 Likes

I have two large size M1 fuses that I no longer use as I no longer have anything that requires the large size.
Looking at all my spare fuses today, I found that the M1s are magnetic. That surprised me. I wonder if that matters?

1 Like

When I was trying to use a magnet to fish out fuses that fell deep inside the dark recesses of my Antileon Evo I was sad to learn they were not magnetic.

2 Likes

So I’m assuming you just picked it up and shook it upside down to get them out?

6 Likes

The thing that gets me is that they make a big deal about the endcaps of a fuse not having magnetic properties. Guess what do you think the parts of the fuse holder are not magnetic. I would tend to believe that they are

1 Like

My turn on the fuse-go-round. I had Purples on P20, PST, BHK and MKI. Later I fell into the MI camp after what it did in the P20, and went all in with the MI. Listening to both fuses was a mixed bag of pluses and minuses and even that changed over time. Now, I just got a Purple for the MKII yesterday and I like it over the stock fuse…more dynamic, less fog. Unfortunately, I don’t have the MI to compare it to as it inadvertently left with the MKI . I’ll see how the new fuse breaks in but I am not in a hurry to swap away and trash the Ml.
I am still in the “not better, just different” corner. My mood and my recording wreak more havoc on finding the one true fuse. Time will tell but these little buggers can act as component sweeteners or detractors and that can change over time. A tough demo situation.
It’s unlike the MKI/MKll swap. The MkIl excels in all areas. Play and be happy. I wish fuses would play nice too.

5 Likes

If you still have a SR Purple, put one in MK2 to try. I think here maybe the best place to have it as I found the balance and timbre is better than at other locations. If needs a day to settle even for an old fuse.

1 Like

You may be right on this. The Purple SQ seems to improve over time, and I could not say the same about M-1 fuse. One week before I boxed the DS, I replaced the M-1 with a stock fuse. I was surprised how good it sounded. The mid-range has a better definition in fact.

The M-1 fuses work better in my system at PST and P15 than other gears. These fuses are like tuning devices and are system dependent. Other people would not agree with me and that makes sense too.

2 Likes

Perhaps aging like wine… :innocent:

Best wishes

1 Like

No sir, all three of them are still inside and will probably be there until the end of time.

2 Likes

I have the same mentality, but started that mentality before experimenting with fuses, lol

1 Like

Actually in your case, it should read, “The end is hear”

2 Likes

If you resell it with all those fuses on board it might have a higher value then!

3 Likes

The purple is amazing. I’m gonna get 2 for my Rega osiris.

Wait till SR comes out with the raspberry chocolate vanilla mint flavor fuse :grin:

Best wishes

2 Likes

They are not upgrade fuses, and they are hanging around in the bottom inside the amp. I didn’t mention them when I traded it in.

1 Like

I had got it Al but your system is so big that if you shake it might have an entire other common system on board not only 3 fuses!
Cheers!

2 Likes

Nope, no go. After the fuses settled in, the all purple sounded too aggressive and harsh even for the MKII. I changed the P20 back to the M1’s and left the Purple in the MKII for a better sweeter balance.

2 Likes

I have the same conclusion. The M-1 is well suited with PSA generators. It really gives a fuller and warmer sound on all gears downstream. But in many systems adding one or two Purples on the rest of the gears will achieve a nice balance, and the best place I found is in MK2 in my system. Fuses in other places have less effect.

1 Like