System Photos!

Ditto

1 Like

congrats - you’ve done really well these are extremely hard to get given production only ramped up in the first week of January…

looking forward to hearing what you think

Gareth in Australia on backorder :frowning:

2 Likes

Congrats, enjoy and share your thoughts with us, I’m curious!

1 Like

I like the utter simplicity.

Indeed… I sometimes complain (to myself) that I don’t spend enough time with my home soundroom or headphone collection but you’re right - I have a (I think) spectacular work environment. Gear tends to change often - small town - word gets around if you’re a sound geek and stuff never ceases to ‘show up’. Last week some a guy had a pair of Mirage M5 speakers and a NAD 214 power amp. Did I neeeeed them? No. But did I wannnt them. $100 - couldn’t say no.

Since that pic the shop has had a few upgrades, a new Eversolo DPM-A6 replacing the Luxman, a Bryston amp, couple subwoofer changes, a pair of Klipsch La Scalas - tis a sickness with no apparent cure.

The yorkville is no audiophile grade piece but just for subwoofers it does the trick with scads of power. And was a freebie.
I actually replaced the 15" audiosphere sub with a pair of 10" AVI subs today - VAST improvement in depth and punch. Subs are actually AVI car subs - one in a 4 port bandpass box and 2 in ported boxes (designed by Howard Doctor) tuned to 29hz. AVI was a great brand hand built in Vancouver by Howard Doctor in the 90s. Still work like they did 30 years ago. I did high end car audio back in the day and have quite a few vintage functioning AVI workhorses lying around. The bandpass came in a 6", 8" and 10" driver version - a few with the plexi window and were absolutely stunning performers. I still run a pair in the burgandy T-bird seen in the photo - I have been abusing the bajeezus out of them since about 1990, I have a brand new pair of drivers in boxes awaiting the death of the old ones but I just can’t kill them. I DID damage one in 93 at a sound-off competition - I tore 3/4 of the spider and launched the voice coil out of the magnet - it landed off-center atop the magnet. I sent it back to Howard and he put a new cone on it. He said the old one was still good - if not for the spider tear he would have just re-used it.

When I work (far too often) on Saturday , I usually crank concert videos on 3 screens - good for easy glance-viewing in a work environment.

Yup - those are Quad ESLs hanging from the ceiling.

I met Howard Doctor when I was a young installer. the man was an absolute genius.

There’s a good little writeup on him here:

Another article stated:

Avi sound is a high performance speaker company based out of Vancouver, Canada. Avi was established in 1989 to develop high performance loudspeakers. The speakers were designed by a gentleman named Howard Doctor and at the time Avi loudspeakers were one of the most advanced speakers in car audio. Many features that Avi introduced to the car audio world were adopted by other companies such as vented cast alloy chassis, and integral heat exchangers. Avi was also the first company to develop the first coaxial point source speaker and 24db crossover.

8 Likes

Love the Quads hanging from the ceiling.

2 Likes

I had a chance to buy a pair of recently restored Quads for like $3k and fear of my wife killing me in my sleep made me pass them up. Sigh. We could get a bigger house.

5 Likes

Or you could just stay awake.

5 Likes

“Whatever you do, don’t fall asleep”

2 Likes

Back in the day, I installed a home HQD System from Mark Levinson. Theses were dual stacked pairs of
Quads, Decca ribbon tweeters, 24” Hartley subwoofers. No room for the wife.

3 Likes

I would like to try this cable but I’m afraid it will scare the dog. :rofl:

ha1yfxyoe0f61

7 Likes

…or eat the dog.

3 Likes

it’s alive, says the horror movie

1 Like

Yes, I think the python (the cable) has eaten enough… :joy:

Looks like a snake ate the power cable.

2 Likes

or vice versa :joy:

1 Like

Coach house…

Man if your going that far wouldn’t it be easier to just build a small nuclear reactor next to your amps?

Lee

1 Like

I’m afraid that radioactive waste may negatively affect the sound of the P20. :yum: :rofl:

3 Likes

Simple shop system. It’s a large, multi room space, so we made a mobile cart to move wherever someone is working

Parasound 275/RP 600M monitors/Yamaha something Bluetooth streamer
Gets the job done

Best,
-JP

9 Likes