Torreys Final Posted

brodricj said
Paul McGowan said ...

Torreys for DirectStream Junior’s next up on the list of projects.

Stay tuned.

With the Torrey’s release for DS now settled, the software having been voiced on the DS platform, when you do the DSJ release, does that get voiced on the DSJ platform and subsequently tweaked, or do you just do a “cut and paste” of the relevant Torrey’s code for DS and post that for download into DSJ without further need for voicing?

Once again Paul, etc. will have to listen to 20 more compiles of the FPGA… Wish them well :slight_smile:

Helmut said My LOADER.CFG was from 12:12, the recent download was from 14:12.

rev. 136 now!

I too am stuck on 135. I just downloaded the update again, but LOADER.CFG still says 12:12, as did the version I loaded earlier this evening. Any suggestions?

I got a different time too, I suspect that it’s not being corrected for time zones/day light savings time or something.

Anyway I just redownloaded it and checked that the LOADER.CFG is good. Perhaps clear your download cache or internet cache…

stevem2 said Tim, the Bridge is upgraded from the DS screen. It will show an update when it's available. You can also watch the boards or subscribe to Paul's Posts where I'm sure it will be announced.
So for those of us with lesser functioning grey matter, are you saying that Bridge II does not yet work with Roon, but when that update is available we will get a notification on-screen? And furthermore, will it be an SD card download or through the network?

Thanks,

SC

lancelock said Paul, Ted, what did you guys do? I'm in a load of trouble. When my wife comes home and hears this she's going to think I bought another component. Yeah... Another expensive component. Holy crap, wow. A world class DAC.
Thanks! Sorry but we gotta make things better. We're obsessed
scirica said So for those of us with lesser functioning grey matter, are you saying that Bridge II does not yet work with Roon, but when that update is available we will get a notification on-screen? And furthermore, will it be an SD card download or through the network?
While the Bridge is selected as the input, press the gear icon (upper left). You will see "Bridge Update: N/A" and that will change when a new version is available. You can then update through the network.

Edit: My bad. Press the network icon, not the gear icon. (I shouldn’t write these things when it’s past my bedtime.)

magister said
scirica said So for those of us with lesser functioning grey matter, are you saying that Bridge II does not yet work with Roon, but when that update is available we will get a notification on-screen? And furthermore, will it be an SD card download or through the network?

While the Bridge is selected as the input, press the gear icon (upper left). You will see “Bridge Update: N/A” and that will change when a new version is available. You can then update through the network.

Ok…thanks for that! I’m in it for Roon integration, so I’ll be watching the forum closely. May wait to upgrade, may not. Any general ETA on the Bridge II upgrade?

Right there with you. I paid for roon and the bridgeII some time ago, I’d love to bring all of this together soon.

Is torreys final and torreys C exactly the same version? If yes then i don’t need to reload torreys final since torreys C is already loaded.

Loaded Torreys final. OMG it does sound like a new DAC. So much more details from old CD. What have you done Ted and Paul???

Yes, listening with Torreys a bit longer, I constantly appreaciate the add. ambiance and breath of life and with some recordings, exploiting the available stage, I experienced that while the back of the stage is still extended far to the back, the parts mixed to the front reach more to my listening place than before. It’s a nice added little 3D experience :wink:

As by a hint of Paul I now converted all my files to aif, I’ve got added treble extension and reverb compared to previously also uncompressed but flac files, too. I noticed also a little more ambiance in this connection, too. Double benefit for zero money happy-048_gif

It’s a conspiracy to hook you! cool

We’re finalizing the last minute details with Roon and should be good to go live shortly. Stay tuned.

inlove_gif

jazznut said As by a hint of Paul I now converted all my files to aif, I've got added treble extension and reverb compared to previously also uncompressed but flac files, too. I noticed also a little more ambiance in this connection, too. Double benefit for zero money
Could you say a bit more (or link to previous exchange on this)? First time I've heard that in the context of DS. In the past (and in discussions about other DACs) I've seen speculations that different forms of decoding (e.g., FLAC, AIFF, WAV) caused different DAC CPU loads and hence noise profile. Is that the operating theory here as well?

Thanks.

Edit: (PS - come to think of it, I’m not sure where and how the conversion actually happens in DS - in the Bridge to PCM first, and then PCM to DSD in the FPGA? Or does everything happen in the FPGA? What about the case of USB input with an external streamer like the Aries).

andytts said Is torreys final and torreys C exactly the same version? If yes then i don't need to reload torreys final since torreys C is already loaded.
Technically you don't need to reload the OS. But the beta versions will keep realoading the files on each power cycle if you leave the SD card in whereas the final version won't. Also it is easier than one would think to end up on a different version than you think you have if you've done any A/Bing. Doing a final install and verifying that the version number is 136 will make sure you are running the final version of each file.
DSD8192 said
jazznut said As by a hint of Paul I now converted all my files to aif, I've got added treble extension and reverb compared to previously also uncompressed but flac files, too. I noticed also a little more ambiance in this connection, too. Double benefit for zero money
Could you say a bit more (or link to previous exchange on this)? First time I've heard that in the context of DS. In the past (and in discussions about other DACs) I've seen speculations that different forms of decoding (e.g., FLAC, AIFF, WAV) caused different DAC CPU loads and hence noise profile. Is that the operating theory here as well?

Thanks.

Edit: (PS - come to think of it, I’m not sure where and how the conversion actually happens in DS - in the Bridge to PCM first, and then PCM to DSD in the FPGA? Or does everything happen in the FPGA? What about the case of USB input with an external streamer like the Aries).

This was discussed here:

I’m sorry, I’m the wrong one to explain or guess this technically, althought I understood the basic assumption behind it as:

A compressed flac has first to be uncompressed and then converted to PCM format inside a renderer. Even uncompressed flac is not in PCM format and has to be converted, while wav and aif are in PCM format already. Althought the data itself is identcal, we assume, that the necessary conversion process in the case of flac influences sound quality.

I understand it like if you play a cassette while shaking the cassette recorder. Signal is the same, but environment influences sound.

Further questions can only be answered by more skilled personal than me ;-), I can only hear it and this is really obvious with suitable music.

For the flac/aif test and best recognition I recommend a jazz recording with very good treble extension and resolution and a piece of music with constant powerful cymbal play. Can be a vintage like Brubeck/Time out or a newer one like Keith Jarrett/Standards or any Patricia Barber demo stuff etc.

Listen first for more treble extension and reverb of the cymbals on single hits. This effect continues also deeper down the range but less noticable. It’s not as much more extension and reverb as I hear from my vinyl rig, but it clearly comes closer. I still have some outstanding measures like adding an active hf noise clearing to the DS, which will bring it even closer to my goal as I know its effect :wink:

In former comparisons between wav and flac I recognized a bass improvement with wav, I didn’t hear that much in my last comparison of aif. Compressed flac is even much worse in treble area than uncompressed flac. You should be able to hear this immediately.

I leave further technical discussion of the wav/aif/flac background to the experts.

The last Torrey upgrade (before this final upgrade) and all previous upgrades took place flawlessly … and the pre-final Torrey sounded superb

Decided to upgrade to this final Torrey tonight - and all I get is the blue power light flashing endlessly during the upgrade … and I cant even get back to the Yale … so now I have a brick

Some time ago Paul mentioned the “echo” on Shelby Lynne´s “Just a little loving”.

On Yale I could hear it very clearly, on Torreys Final it nearly disappeared.

[many nested quotes deleted] jazznut said

This was discussed here:

Thanks, I’ll play around and see if I can hear a difference. My expectation is it’s unlikely in my case, since the decompression is presumably done by my Aries streamer, which then sends the results via USB to a Regen and only then to the DS. The likelihood of the ‘extra load’ on the Aries causing noise which would make its way to the DS seems small - but I’ll be sure to listen with an open mind :slight_smile:

sicklehut said The last Torrey upgrade (before this final upgrade) and all previous upgrades took place flawlessly ... and the pre-final Torrey sounded superb

Decided to upgrade to this final Torrey tonight - and all I get is the blue power light flashing endlessly during the upgrade … and I cant even get back to the Yale … so now I have a brick

Always use the OS’s Eject or Remove function before taking the SD card out. (I’m not saying you didn’t do it, but I’m reminding people that it’s important - an SD card with errors causes all manner of strange behavior.)

Go to the “Download Software and Guides” tab of the Resources/Downloads page.

Download the “Boot Rescue Disc for DirectStream” - unzip it to the root of your SD card. You might want to format the SD card first if there’s any chance that you removed it from your PC too soon after you put Torreys Final on it.

Do the normal Turn off the DS/Put the SD card in “upsidedown”/Turn on the DS to force load everything. It will take longer than a normal software upgrade.

Then clean off the SD card and put Torreys Final on it, tell the OS to eject the SD card and do the normal off/insert SD/on…

You should be fine.