Torreys Final Posted

Helmut said Some time ago Paul mentioned the "echo" on Shelby Lynne´s "Just a little loving".

On Yale I could hear it very clearly, on Torreys Final it nearly disappeared.

That’s clearly not the case here. Some things that might make a difference: the mastering of the DSD and various CD versions of that disc are quite different. If you have more than one version check that you are using the same version with different OSs. Similarly in any given version the echos/long fades are more apparent some places than others, make sure you are comparing the same exact spots. If the version number on your screen isn’t 136 redownload Torreys Final and install it again.

Our friend, Galen Gareis from Belden, weighed in on Torreys in an email exchange. He references a comment from another Torreys thread but I thought it would be better here in the more current one.

"The comments that the TORREY’s firmware images off center and has “gaps” was puzzling to me. But, after hundreds of hours developing the ICONOCLAST™ cables, I may have something to interject. First, people are VERY used to their current system, as as much as I’d like to say we pick “better” sounding components, we often pick what we are used to hearing and that isn’t always the best.

The more an instrument’s timbre is correct, the better it’s sound stage placement and width will be. A Steinway piano and a piccolo should not cover the same stage width or height. But, we tend to want to force the image placement to what we like, and not what is right. Consider what’s being listened to, and ask your self, SHOULD it “fill the gaps” between center stage and left or right?

Example; Listen to Gordon Lightfoot, “If you Could Read My Mind” The Pony Man. Gordon’s voice is centered, and the LEFT speaker plays two distinct stringed lines. One is larger, wider and behind the higher pitched acoustics which are low and stay put in space much tighter than the wider placed rear lower timbres. The RIGHT channel is nearly “blank” except for the harmonica. Adding more and more (really removing upper harmonic information with cables) low frequency energy spreads out BOTH voicing too much. This destroys the true sound stage, and smears the definition around each instrument.

Now listen to, “Poor Allison”, where the natural timbre is deeper…and extends ACROSS the entire stage. But, done right, imaging is still excellent. YALE smears this away too much and it tends to go pastel and loses spatial definition. Not so TORREYS, where it remains more opaque and defined. This adds way more depth to the sound stage, too.

As much as YALE is good, it adds too much warmth and “blends” the sound stage far more than is right, like it or not, and sacrifices true image depth in the process. So over several songs and artists TORREYS has much better and properly “sized” instrumental placement front to back and left to right.

YES, this means there are “GAPS” between the sound stage on many recordings! But you never had an opportunity to hear it before so it is interpreted as “wrong”. I think far from it. Two piccolo’s will have significant stage gaps between them in a left to right placement, Not so two bass guitars. A proper mix should maintain that separation or lack thereof. We tends to want a “full” and overlapped sound where none is really more correct. The higher the timbre the more isolated it should become and the opposite.

My vote is to what’s got the more correct and natural image placement left to right and front to back. Extended listening confirms this. If a constant headphone enveloped sound stage is your thing, than YALE is leaning more that way. My experience over hundreds of hours with my cable and the phase correct CLX [Martin Logan CLX] says that’s less correct than TORREYS."

If I could resurrect a comment from Vhiner from another thread – I think. What I notice from Torreys Final that was mentioned with Torreys C is the loss of some kinds of detail and the gaining of others. In my case, there are some sounds (all high frequency as far as I can tell) while the gain of others that seem to be mainly in the midrange. Things I hadn’t noticed before and others that have either been diminished or are almost gone.

This isn’t a criticism, just an observation. Take for example the probably little known track Ashes Cold & White on the Hearts of Space label. The sound of the fire is much diminshed but other aspects come to the front. Just one of a number of differences I hear.

Yep, from Torreys B to Torreys C there was a tradeoff in the FPGA processing - Torreys B had a little lower noise floor across the board but Torreys C traded some of that for better low level linearity (which fixed the zippering bug.)

First startup after Final upgrade did not find the Bridge II, as in Beta3. Power cycling without the card inserted made the Bridge visible again.

Sound is terrific, of course, as anticipated…

wglenn said ......YES, this means there are “GAPS” between the sound stage on many recordings! But you never had an opportunity to hear it before so it is interpreted as “wrong”. I think far from it.....
Yes, good equipment sometimes uncovers things you don't want to hear.

I experienced this with a recording of great music where some more or less famous actors and singers were mixed with their speach or chant into a very nice athmospheric background music performance as an add audio track. Even with already very good equipment, this sounded quite combined and harmonic, as if they were in a studio together.

With the DS you can hear how the recording was made and you hear that totally different surrounding, the voices were recorded in, it all just sounds like a patch work. An example were worse equipment would definitely lead to a more satisfying listening experience in terms of the music.

But what makes the DS a tool for hearing the “making of” in this case, also makes it to a tool hearing the best out of really good recordings.

I certainly have had some of my favorite discs “degrade” as my system got better, but it’s also been the case that, at times, even more improvement in my system has taken such a patchwork production back to a wonderful whole. I suspect that like tape hiss, phono pops, room noise, etc., when it’s clear enough the brain can ignore it well and focus on the performances instead of the distractions.

jep, it’s easy to pass on some of those recordings in favor of the improvement to all others. And there are many where I not even guessed they are so good, before. There are some, which just newly open up a huge space of something “happening”

Ted Smith said Always use the OS's Eject or Remove function before taking the SD card out. (I'm not saying you didn't do it, but I'm reminding people that it's important - an SD card with errors causes all manner of strange behavior.)
I sometimes have a problem ejecting the SD card, getting the message that the files are in use. I have tried to do it in Win Explorer, from the menu line and even via the program 'Unlocker'. This has got me into trouble where I had to use the Rescue feature.

My advice is to go into Disc Manager and do it from here. This always works in a safe manner.

Just updated to Torreys Final. Update went fine on first attempt and BII was found and functions perfectly with JRiver. I did remove the files from the SD card, old habit I guess. Now hopefully I’ll get some listening time in after a while.

Updated to Torreys Final today. Agree with earlier posts: very noticeable upgrade - thanks Ted & Paul.

Specifically after a couple hours of listening my non-scientific assessment is that noise floor is lower, there is more space in the soundstage, the leading-edges of notes are better defined so the music has more impact. To me Yale had an almost intoxicating depth of tone, particularly for male voices, however Torreys seems to present a more accurate and natural sound - just as involving but in a different way.

I’ve in the process of listening to box sets of classic performances of Puccini and Strauss operas: hearing Die Frau ohne Schatten conducted by Sawallisch via Torreys was amazing with astonishing reproduction of Cheryl Studer’s arias. The orchestral dynamics ppp to fff were very well conveyed.

Frode said
I sometimes have a problem ejecting the SD card, getting the message that the files are in use. I have tried to do it in Win Explorer, from the menu line and even via the program 'Unlocker'. This has got me into trouble where I had to use the Rescue feature.

My advice is to go into Disc Manager and do it from here. This always works in a safe manner.

I have the same problem all the time. A while back I did some goggling and this seems to be a well known Windows issue, at least with Win7. What is Disc Manager? It would be nice not to have to shut down unnecessarily.
davidl said To me Yale had an almost intoxicating depth of tone, particularly for male voices,
Thank you! Last night I wrote a post in which I liked Torrey's in general very much, but felt that one thing had gone missing, and I couldn't accurately describe that one thing. "Depth of tone" says it exactly!

[nested quotes deleted]

Depth of tone: +1

magister said

I have the same problem all the time. A while back I did some goggling and this seems to be a well known Windows issue, at least with Win7. What is Disc Manager? It would be nice not to have to shut down unnecessarily.

You could do the first 6 steps from this tutorial: 3 Ways to Unmount a Drive - wikiHow

Then you right-click to the left of the SD card and chose ‘Eject’.

magister said
davidl said To me Yale had an almost intoxicating depth of tone, particularly for male voices,

Thank you! Last night I wrote a post in which I liked Torrey’s in general very much, but felt that one thing had gone missing, and I couldn’t accurately describe that one thing. “Depth of tone” says it exactly!

+2

Paul,

Do I need to download the Torrey final if I downloaded last week?

Frode said

You could do the first 6 steps from this tutorial: 3 Ways to Unmount a Drive - wikiHow

Then you right-click to the left of the SD card and chose ‘Eject’.

I always right click and "format" too so the card is totally wiped clean before I write to it again.

Still cannot use the JRemote volume control for the DSD while using Torres, while it worked with Yale. I was hoping this bug would be fixed with the final release. Oh well…

ozzymilton said Paul,

Do I need to download the Torrey final if I downloaded last week?

Ozzy..See Teds post.

http://www.psaudio.com/forum/directstream-all-about-it/torreys-final-posted/page-2/#p56106