Which HDMI cable are you getting for your new PerfectWave SACD Transport?

I am not @aangen, and I don’t play him on TV, but I’ll chime in FWIW.

Within the last 12 months or so I have purchased and tried the following HDMI cables b/t my PSA DMP transport and DS Sr. DAC (I have included some pricing information for context):

+Audio Quest Vodka 4k Ultra (original, discontinued model not the “48” model) cable (2M @ about $530 MSRP, before it was discontintued)
+Revelation Audio Lab Reference cable (1.5M @ about $999 MSRP, curently)
+Pink Faun Digital interlink LAN cable (1M @ about $874 MSRP, currently)

I bought a used .75M Revelation Audio Lab Reference cable from a fellow forum dweller and a used 1M Pink Faun Digital Interlink cable from a fellow forum dweller as well. I bought the Audio Quest Vodka cable new on close out when they were discontinued.

Each were vying to replace the standard HDMI cable PSA used to supply with its transport(s).

In my system, in my room, the Pink Faun and the Revelation Audio Lab (RAL) cables were a dead heat and I could not consistently discern an audible difference in their performance. The only reason I have not re-sold the RAL is the Pink Faun will work on my video sources. So the RAL has stayed connected to the DMP and DSD and the Pink Faun is serving my Panasonic Plasma TV.

The Audio Quest proved to be no better than the the other cables at my disposal so it to is being used with a video source and the Panasonic.

I was somewhat disappointed the RAL was not revelatory, but it is “better” than the old, PSA standard issue HDMI cable and I paid far less than retail.

As Al alluded in response to your query, the Audio Quest Dragon HDMI cable seems to be the current, consensus “fastigium vel optimum” here on the forum. I have not had the privilege of trying the Dragon.

Cheers.

3 Likes

FWIW, I took Paul’s recommendation and got the AQ FireBird48. Very happy with it, though nothing to compare it to except the Kimber and stock.

1 Like

AQ Firebird48 is a great HDMI for PST. I use it for my new streamer, and I have tried Dragon48 with it too and frankly could not hear much difference.

But for PST, Dragon48 does sound better than Firebird48. In the past I have used AQ Coffee and Vodka. The coffee was clearly better. The gap between Firebird and Coffee is smaller than that of Coffee and Vodka. But AQ has a new Vodka48 and does not make a Coffee48. So, it is a replacement for both.

2 Likes

Thanks to all of you! I’m happy about any experience.

Would you say the change of an HDMI cable does as much as the change of an analog signal cable?

2 Likes

Anyone try one of these? https://www.tubulus.net/product/tubulus-concentus-i2s-cable/

I’d be interested in a comparison with the FireBird48, as it seems close in price.

I may not be the best person to answer. My HDMI cables have always been decent. When I replaced XLR (Silver cables made by a friend) with Iconoclast UPOCC both times, the improvement was significant each time. So, in my case the signal cables made a bigger difference, but that is just me.

1 Like

The Dragon is with out a doubt the best and I would go as far as saying it’s a component level upgrade. I went from the RAL to the dragon and I think it was a big jump in performance. Nick at the music room gives the best price. Give him a call when you are ready.

3 Likes

My favorite was the (discontinued) Wireworld Platinum Somethingerother.
I tried a Dragon and sent it back.
I also like the long ago discontinued PS Audio HDMI 12 and HMDI 10. They’re great value if you find one used.

2 Likes

When you guys speak of the Dragon, is it the 48, the eARC or the 8-10k?

1 Like

Platinum Starlight 7, 8?

Dragon 48. Earc will not carry a I2S signal.

2 Likes

I did see RonP chime in. Which reminds me the Dragon and Firebird need lots of hours of burn in time I’d say 200 to be safe. I’m not going to mention anyones name but some people don’t have patience or believe in burn in on cables. :man_facepalming:t2: Sorry maybe I did mention him. Lol

2 Likes

Talking about MSRP”s (and I’m definitely a cable believer), the idea to spend 3k for one of the two needed cables to connect a 2k streamer somehow makes me think about this hobby…

3 Likes

Thats were Nick comes in. There’s no way I was spending $2300 on 1 HDMI cable and I didn’t. I spent a lot but what it did sound wise I can justify it.

I don’t think there’s an 8.

1 Like

have a look at this one as well - I’ve been really impressed with it - replaced a wireworld plat starlight 7 - AfterDark. Black Magic MKII Carbon Fiber Shielding (CFS) I2S HDMI Cabl

1 Like

Put me on the list for team Dragon. Like Al and Paul, I went through the WW7, RAL and AQ Dragon, in that order. Each bettered the other. The Dragon ain’t cheap but the bump in sound made the rationalization easier.

5 Likes

I love the justification :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s a happy Monday morning price level!

In fact if I don’t get an otherworldly deal on one of the expensive ones and the Afterdark is recommended even against or on par the near 1k ones, that might be my first entry when getting the Airlens…whenever it comes.

Is an AQ Diamond ranking below the other recommendations except for the Dragon already? It seems to be around used for at least half its MSRP.