Audio Magic M2 vs SR Pink fuse, Owners thoughts and observations here please

Did you gave two M1s and you replaced them with two Pinks?

I had an M1 in the DAC and then had a purple in the DAC and streamer at one point. So far the the Pinks are surpassing that in noise floor, separation, dynamics. Did not try two M1s.

1 Like

Congratulations. You seem to be the first in the forum to have the courage. When pink has the mids of purple with more extension in the highs and more detail it seems to be a good mix. The master is very detailed but less pronounced in the mids. The Pink seems to be more balanced of the SR fuses.

Okay. Would have loved to have gotten an M1 / Pink direct comparison. Sounds like you replaced both the M1 and the Purple at the same time.

Great to see the Pink fuse ā€˜out in the wildā€™, keep the updates coming as they burn in.

1 Like

Thatā€™s right, I liked the M1 initially, but only recently started experimenting with DAC and streamer. With that, Iā€™ve only had two Purple fuses

1 Like

I received the M2 today, it replaces an M1 in my PS Audio P20.
First impressions without breaking in : its more relaxed and natural but a little restricted.
Normally, with breaking-in this last aspect should disappear.
In addition, the M2 is quieter, this can be seen in the television image which is better defined.

4 Likes

I found my very restricted during break in it does get much better after 125 hours.

1 Like

Did you have other SR fuses to before to compare?

In my system I have Synergestic Purple ln the amps.
If the M2 confirms that it is superior to the M1, I will buy 2 more and put the 2 M1s in the amps to hear what a system does in full Audio Magic.
Initially the Audio Magic were deemed not suitable for amplifiers unlike the Synergistic. But as they have made a lot of progressā€¦ Maybe the new Synergistic Purple will continue to be better on amplifiers but I will have to testā€¦

I have a SR Master that was in before. After some break in I prefer M2.

1 Like

M2 grew on me too which made me put an ad to sell the Master fuse. By the time I changed my mind on the night it was too late.

I was all set to order my 2nd M2 for P15, but Scottie voodoo me in getting a SDFB instead. Maybe Iā€™ll try another M2 in the streamer where my last SR Purple resides.

You guys got me off my non tweak binge.

I ordered a M-2 and 4n silver sluggo hollow and the 4N silver sluggo for the P20. No SDFB for me though.

4 Likes

Iā€™m fairly certain you will like M2, but I have been wrong beforešŸ˜†

Curious to know what difference you will hear with hollow and solid silver. Are you planning to get a FB if the sluggo works better than the fuse?

1 Like

I am hoping the M2 is the answer. I ordered the sliggos to see what all the gushing on the SDFB was about. If i did get one I will have lost all hope that i had not gone purely insane, since I would have to buy another more expensive power cords.

2 Likes

I would not let the prospect of another PC deter you. YMMV, but my experience was a discernible improvement using relatively modest PCs. Currently, I have the ā€œpigtailā€ provided by Vera-Fi coming out of the wall (20 amp service) and feeding the SDFB and a PSA AC12 connected between the PSA P10 Regenerator and the SDFB.

(Sidebar: I have an older SR PC currently between the DAC and the P10. On paper, it might be the ā€œbestā€ PC I own. I need to go back and try it instead of the AC12 and see if I can hear a difference.)

My digital-centric system (Modified PSA DS Sr. DAC, PSA AirLens, PSA DMP, EtherRegen, Roon and JRiver Media Center) sounds ā€œbetterā€ with the copper Sluggo and SDFB serving the P10 in lieu of a SR Orange Quantum fuse. The EtherRegen, and PSA components are all plugged into the P10 at the moment.

If your system is really sensitive to PCs, then you may do better with an expensive PC serving the output of a SDFB, but it is not a prerequisite to hearing a discernible improvement - at least in my experience.

Finally, if you are ā€œintoā€ expensive, aftermarket fuses, I think you owe it to yourself to see if this is a better value proposition and better performer. I would guess that most of us crazy enough to be writing about such things have a decent enough spare PC laying around and are in a position to give this a try. An upgrade to the PC could follow later (or never).

If you donā€™t experience an improvement, just send it back.

Commercial over. :slight_smile:

Cheers.

2 Likes

Small update on the running-in of the M2, after a period of ā€œheavieningā€ of the bass and low midrange, after the 3rd day the sound message begins to become detailed, the soundstage widens, the treble still rings a little ā€œstuckā€.
The M2 is quieter than the M1.
To sum it up in a nutshell, the sound of the M2 is organic.

M2 is in MK2 for a couple of weeks, SDFB is with P15 for a few days, Master fuse is in BHK pre, and FR30 speakers are on their fourth week!

Iā€™m in heaven! Never heard of ANY system that sounded this good in my memory.:man_dancing:t2:

3 Likes

Lost count, but has anyone had time with both the M2 and the Pinky?

1 Like

Well, curiosity got the best of meā€¦M2 order placed. Put the M1 back in my 2nd system with my Bifrost 2/64. I had the SR Purple in there and I forgot how much better the M1 is - much better clarity, more delineation of notes in the mid band. Anyway, needed a baseline to get me ready for the fuse off thatā€™s about to go down. For science! :wink:

3 Likes