PST Owners: Need feedback on an issue I am having

My PST as long as the display light is on, all the controls (on PST or on remote) are one push.
When the display is off (I.e. in Dim mode, from remote), one push on any control will bring the display light on. Once the light is on, another push on desired control will work.
If I remember correctly, the two pushes under the dim mode has been reported during the beta testing, but it is a feature, not a bug.

Mine does this occasionally - reseating the cd seems to be the cure.

I have several PS Audio units. Was having problems with PLAY on the remote for pst and predecessor - finally figured out it was that particular remote (others work fine!)

Re starting then stopping - I suspect a time lag in the unit and the stop is you pressing the remote twice. Or - as above, the remote is wonky, possibly.

i am having all the issues that was described in this thread on a Dec’21 PST
what have you guys done to resolve the issues

here is my experience, in addition to yours:
when the CD tray is open, the PST says it is reading… PST should NOT read a CD when tray is open
it think the PST DIM too quick, it should keep LED stays when it read CD
then DIM when it is ready to play

My PST displays no disc until I press the button to close the tray. At that point it starts to indicate it is reading the disc. My display never dims.

1 Like

I would think that is the normal case.

I just came here to ask this too. The day after I set it up and listened I put mine in standby, came back a week later, pressed open on the face, nothing happened. I pressed open again, I pressed open twice fast, I pressed and held open and went into the settings menu. I got out of the settings menu and pressed open on the remote, still nothing. I powered off the device and powered back on. Pressed open on face and remote - nothing. I used the manual open function and got the drawer to open. After that it worked but not consistent. I have finally found the double quick click seems to work the best. I am not confident the button press will work. I am not certain I will get the desired results consistently.

As a comparison the Oppo 205 no matter what state it is in before pressing a button on the face or remote, one click instant open. I don’t mind the sleep mode double click for play but I want to know it is going to work. To me this is the preferred UX.

I’m not super excited about the hesitant functionality with inconsistent repeatability of this unit and starting to lean towards taking advantage of the 90 return policy - because the unit was not delivered until Dec after purchase in October.

1 Like

I received my PST about a week ago and am experiencing the same problem. I’ve contacted PS Audio and am waiting for an RMA to send mine back. Not sure what the deal is here, hardware or firmware. I hope they find a fix soon.

1 Like

When my PST suffers “dead on standby” (which just happened yesterday), usually the problem solves by main power off on the back, wait for a while, main power back.

In my case if the drawer does not respond to remote or front panel I reboot with the power switch. Most of the time this gets it to work, but just for a short time, one or two CDs and then I’m back where I started.

1 Like

Yup–same here. Very unpredictable and incomprehensible. I wish it worked as flawlessly as my borrowed Jay’s. Sometimes it tells me it’s “reading”—a really long time. It’s a cd, not a freekin Tom Wolfe novel.

2 Likes

The typical “dead on standby “ (or, “control freeze during play back” ) PST has no response either control from front panel or from remote. Main power cycle fixes them.
Your case, I think it’s time to call PSA.

2 Likes

Maybe I’m misunderstanding what people here mean by “putting it in standby.” To me, “standby” means the power switch on the back of the unit is in the ON position, but the logo button and display are not illuminated. When mine is in that state, the open/close button does nothing, nor would I expect it to do anything until I press the logo button on the unit, or the “on” button on the remote.

4 Likes

See my first post above, I already contacted them.

@Craig_Burgess Good question and I apologize for not adding that information. To clarify, I push the blue button on the front, which is not illuminated when I press it, to take it out of standby. The blue logo flashes and then remains illuminated and then I push the drawer open button. This is when the drawer doesn’t respond to either the transport face or the remote.

Regards,
Jim

2 Likes

UPDATE: I contacted PS Audio support and spoke with MarkS who was very helpful in setting up a RMA. Transport left yesterday and hoping the new one functions as expected. I want the transport because DSD and PS Audio makes good components that do all the things. So I may as well get this sorted now so I can settle in to listening and not be annoyed that I didn’t take the time to do it right.

7 Likes

Let us know how it works out. I’m having the same problem with my new PST. I talked to Mark last Wednesday and he started an RMA, but I stopped him later the same day when I discovered the screw for manually ejecting a disc was loose. Tightening it helped the drawer problem, but only for a couple of discs. I talked to James the next day (he answered the phone) and since then he has contacted Mark to send me the RMA paperwork, but alas, nothing yet. I would assume they are working on a fix for this since it appears to be more than an isolated incident.

Regarding my PST with less than 72 hours on it I have the same issue here, only it also took out my DSD DAC. Both are being returned to PS Audio. :frowning:

1 Like

I’ve had similar issues with my PST, where it became unresponsive via the remote and front panel, but a reboot fixed the issue. Only happened a few times since I’ve owned it.

1 Like

I saw your post on that, frightening. I must have rebooted my PST in the short time I used it 20 times. There is a note in the manual to put the unit in standby before turning off at the back switch. I tried to do that, but I’m sure I didn’t a few times. Luckily no impact on my DS Sr.

Gary_M, you are correct a reboot fixes it, but I had to do it to eject the disc almost every time. That ain’t right …

1 Like

It is weird the new PST has many issues, mine is over 10 months old and it has worked great so far.