Wish List for P20 owners

Request: please build in a grounding post onto the chassis of the P20

In the spirit of “star grounding” being the most effective and practical way to normalize potential between various components, it would seem that the P20 is the most logical place to place a grounding post (as the macro source of AC powering the whole system), is it not? Even Paul himself says so…

So why does the P20 NOT have a grounding post?
Which screw on the chassis should one be grounding the peripheral components to?
Please advise - thank you!

Something like this?

Every system componet I have has a signal ground, except for the power plant.

Yes, assuming that it’s beneficial to have a star grounding arrangement for all of the components plugged into the PowerPlant, for it to have a grounding post (or two) similar to the one on your photo !

Request: how does one use a voltmeter to fine-tune the P20’s voltage settings and readings? It’s not covered by the Owner’s Instruction booklet!

Pushing the upper right corner of the firmware screen will display the calibration screen, with three parameters each having a minus (-) and plus (+) adjustment to move through a range of -12 to +12.

Output Voltage Setting
Input Voltage Reading
Output Voltage Reading

Using a default setting of zero, only the Input Voltage Reading seems intuitive, as the other two seem to counteract each other.

What is the proper way to adjust the Output Voltage Setting and Output Voltage Reading, using an AC voltmeter?

In the screenshot example above, what does one need to do with the touchscreen panel adjustments to calibrate for the following?

Actual figures as measured by a reliable voltmeter

• input voltage: 227.0V
  • P20’s output voltage: 234.0V

Assuming desired output voltage of 231.0V,

• the input voltage display data needs to be lowered
  • the output voltage display data needs to be lowered

As stated before, the delta between display, settings and actual outputs do not track each other in an intuitive way, making calibration very difficult.

As an experiment, I’ve tried setting as a default all three parameters with the following “starting points”, but still have trouble hitting the bulls-eye:

0, 0, 0
-10, -10, -10
+10, +10, + 10

The I/O calibration process is covered in the service manual…I’m very surprised the V output indication has drifted by 3V since factory calibration.

The owners manual does not describe the calibration procedure.
How do we get a copy of the “service manual” that you mention?

It’s a PS Audio internal document, you’d have to ask them for it. Unless they just jumped on here and told you straight out.

If you use a power plant and your equipment is plugged into it with 3 prong plugs you are already creating a star ground situation. If you add ground wires besides those provided by the power cords you may create a ground loop and cause an increase in noise. This is a case of where more is not always better.

OK, my AC duplex’s output voltage is 226.2V.
Since I don’t have the service manual, I played around with the calibration settings and arrived at the following settings to trim both the setting and output to converge to, and match as closely as possible to 230.0V.

P20 (left)
Output Voltage Setting
-10, 230V
Input Voltage Reading
2, 226.3V
Output Voltage Reading
12, 230.7V

P20 (right)
Output Voltage Setting
-4, 230V
Input Voltage Reading
2, 226.3V
Output Voltage Reading
12, 230.3V

Thanks for the clarification and for reminding us that the ground plug itself establishes a star grounding configuration. Nevertheless, additional grounding through wires connected to external “sandboxes” like the Entreq intrigues me. Would love to hear from anyone on this forum who have used them in addition to the Powerplants!

Lessons learned:

The input voltage from the househild AC duplexes are likely NOT what is displayed on the P20.

The target output voltages settings on the P20 are likely NOT the actual output voltages.

For those who have multiple Multiwave Powerplants, these errors will lead to imbalances between components, and likely undesirable shifts in the soundstage due to the mismatch between L/R channels.

Wished PS Audio could chime in to provide some guidance on the calibration procedure instead of leaving owners to figure things out through trial and error experimentation… Thanks in advance!

If you can’t get an answer here just ask the question of your dealer. I’m sure they’ll have access to the manual that tells you what to do.

Sure, I’ll ask my local dealer. Expecting PS Audio to answer me directly on this forum is likley a wrong expectation from the perspective of efficiency, as dealers have the responsibility to serve their local customers.

Sorry, I missed this discussion. Not sure what you’re trying to do but we do not recommend calibrating the P20. The units come calibrated from the factory and are with 1% of accuracy. If you’re readings show something way off I would want to discuss how you are making those readings.

You are more than welcome to contact us directly service@psaudio.com for help. I would not go to your dealer as they likely haven’t the technical chops to answer your questions.

Let me know if you need help.

Gonna try and revive this discussion. I like almost any idea to improve the look of the P20. The meters are ugly and useless. I like the big numbers idea along with the last screen looked at to remain the default (could include a home button at every page to ease navigation). I know PS Audio has other priorities but would like to see a firmware update addressing the screen. Anything to try and make the beast more attractive!

2 Likes

I am so with you. Is it odd that I actually like the screen with all the info? I mean I have it off for the most part but the meters are just not doing it for me, nor do they change noticeably enough to give any decent info from 10ft away. The big numbers might be good if you could choose which you wanted to see like THD in and out on one screen, Voltage in and out on the next, current and % of capacity on another. You could read 2 things side by side on one screen from a pretty good ways off.

2 Likes

Agree on the screen with all the info, useful and not ugly. I’d leave it on that screen, like I did with my P10, if I could.

2 Likes

Someone call my name?! :crazy_face:

I wonder how many people feel this way? I think the P20’s one of the best looking beasts we’ve ever produced.

The GUI itself could certainly be changed if people don’t like it.