Bridge II 3.6.86 is ready for updating

I guess this will only applies to those who:

Are not using DSj as a streamer (hence using the Bridge II) and only as a DAC

Have experience assembling computers / electronics, have an anti-static strap, have a good anti-static bag and a place to careful conserve the Bridge little board (be very careful with the pins) - or want to take some risks on their own

The physical part of accessing and opening DSj is quite easy and trivial, without breaking any seal or altering the product itself. But some measurements should me taken to preserve everything.

In my case, the screws at the bottom that you should remove are the metal ones (four of them) not the black. When you take one of them off, you need to check if it is a long one.

It was a thrill see the DSj innards, and how meticulous is PS Audio building their gear. Outstanding.

Now, some effective feedbackā€¦

• Operating temperature decreases ā€“ Confirmed! The decrease in operating temperature is not subtle.
  • If, by any means, the DSj noise floor is reduced (@tedsmith is it plausible?) ā€“ Not confirmed! The DSj noise floor remains the same. (Iā€™m talking about the hiss that came out of the speakers with no signal input and when you crank your Pre volume)
  • No more interaction (bugs) between Bridge code and control processor ā€“ Something in the long termā€¦
  • No more volume bug issues with/without ethernet cable (now or in the future) ā€“ Confirmed! (although some folks confirmed that the issue only occurs with the ethernet cable unplugged, which applies to all user that donā€™t use Bridge II I guess)
  • If the ā€œnoiseā€ is reduce, and by that you can extract a little more info from the read format ā€“ Subtle, but I guess some more cues are retrieved. Here, we are talking about ā€œnoiseā€ that can hide some information, not the noise floor of the equipment itself.

DSj is an outstanding DAC! :blush:

2 Likes

For DSD Sr. owners - Does 3.6.86 fix the loud static burst when switching bit rates higher than 16bit? Is the volume issue the only bug found so far? I waited to make the update, and Iā€™m wondering if I should just continue to wait and mute my DSDSr when switching bit ratesā€¦

Yes, static burst gone! And artwork always showing up. Go for it!

What about the volume resetting to 50%?

I never power off the DAC other than for firmware installsā€¦so not an issue for me. Iā€™m sure others will chime in about the 50% issue

Iā€™m the same way - I never power off my DSDSr.

At least on the DSJ, the 50% volume issue doesnā€™t only happen at start up, it can happen randomly throughout the listening session. Reinstalling the latest Snowmass has reduced incidences quite a bit, though last night, about 30 minutes into a listening session, it jumped to 50 again.

1 Like

You will feel the pain if you unplug the ethernet cable. Otherwise, it doesā€™t metter.

The %50 volume problem is something new with latest 3.6.86 ?

As far as I can tell, yes. Or at least, with this incidence.

The volume 50 issue is also present with the PWD MKII. Please refer to my post here.

To wrap it up: DS Sr., DS Jr. and PWD MKII are concerned. All DACs from PS Audio capable of operating a Bridge II.

So FW updates must follow as soon as possible for all products!

My new bridge is one update behind and staying that way.

After updating the FW of my Bridge II to the latest version I observe some odd behavior of my PWD MKII.

1. Powering up the PWD MKII by itā€™s rocker switch on the backside
  2. After initialization finished I changed the volume from 50 to 80
  3. After a short time the volume is reset to 50 automatically by the PWD MKII
  4. Again changing the volume from 50 to 80
  5. Again after a short time itā€™s reset to 50
  6. Once again changed to 80 it stays stable!

So volume is always reset to 50 two times after a power cycle. Itā€™s hard to imagine that the FW change of the Bridge caused the behavior, but you never know!

Does anyone else has an idea or observe the same behavior?

Regards!

Do not unplug the Ethernet Cable before the next DAC firmware update.

I can confirm this!

After doing some research yesterday evenining. I found out that on unplugging the Ethernet cable and not having a network connection established, the PWD MK II starts reseting the volume to 50.

Against my first observance this happens continously not only twice after power up!

My problem is that Iā€™m currently using an external DIY network client connected via IĀ²S to my PWD. so the Bridge II stays unconnected. I either have to remove it from the PWD or to downgrade the FW.

So question is when will the PWD get a new FW? Can any PS Audio official drop in?

2 Likes

updated the Bridge II in my DSD sr last week. no issues. listened for awhile, went back to using USB input from an opticalrendu. no issues, smooth sailing.

today my DSD sr started randomly setting the volume to 50 vs the 82 that I set it at. By randomly I mean in the middle of a tune - no changes to any device settings or network changes - Ethernet cable was connected. Just BAM, quieter.

Iā€™ve physically pulled the BII board, which I have not been using as a source - itā€™s still USB. Not sure that pulling the board will fix it - never seen this behavior in the DSD before!

Iā€™m afraid this will have to wait after AN speakers are releasedā€¦:joy:
No time again for Bridge II

oh no :tired_face: what about this issue?

The bug is still present. Should have been fixed, was told to be fixed, wasnā€™t fixed, I have an open request @TJ.

2 Likes

Thx jazznut
:pray: