Snowmass Version V2 is ready

RC, please try toggling the back power switch off and then on to see what happens. Thanks.

It only moves the volume down on hard reboot if variable is set - remote on / off has no impact on volume. That is the way they designed it.

Yeah, that what I figured from what I saw and read. Thanks for the confirmation.

After reboot main screen shows 25, and the setup screen page shows 35. :thinking:??

Hmm, that’s a new one. When I had it on Fixed 90 and then set it to Variable and toggled power, it reset to 25 and the Setup screen showed 100.

I’ve noticed mine also “Initializes” twice when when the power switch in the back is toggled on. The Initialize bar first goes about 5% of the way in, then there’s a click, then the bar clears and goes in about 10%, after which the display comes up and it’s ready to go. I don’t recall if it did that with previous versions.

I’m an Option 2 until I stop hearing about issues with V2. By the way, I updated the Bridge II before I installed Snowmass, so a V2 update was not a necessary must have.

What issues with V2?

The only issue I still have is that the DS suddenly turns on from sleep (SM V2 and Bridge 3.6.17]

Select any other input instead of the bridge and you won;t have the phantom turn on!

Snowy V2 doesn’t have the failure to stay off fault that I had with V1. For me the release has been without any obvious shortcomings

Yes, thanks I also read before I have to switch inputs every time I turn the DS to sleep…still a little annoying…but sound is more important :wink:

1 Like

Freaking amazing the support. You guy’s are top of the tops! Try this with a phone. 3 updates at best.

Must be low level hardware changes? Upon update URC remote saw it as a new device. No problem. Remote read info in 1 minute.

After two weeks of good behavior, the unsolicited wake-up returned last night. Go figure…

since I posted here, I didn’t experience it again, so it seems to occur rarely

Crazy,… I just experienced the same thing,… auto turn on. Everything had been stable since reflashing to 3.6.17 and SMv2 early last week. Came into the office this morning and the Sr. was already wide awake. Tried to switch the input to Optical,. and it would constantly switch back to Bridge. Took a complete reboot to settle things down and get back to normal operation.
I just installed SMv3, even though it shouldn’t make any difference, we’ll see… I love the bridge as it allows me to stream Spotify, but the craziness that has ensued since these latest releases (bridge and SM) is about to drive me crazy.
Have also noticed that the Bridge will completely loose the sync/connection with the router at times and require a Bridge reset to get it talking to the network again…

Just my two cents here. Upgraded from Redcloud to Snowmass V2 today (3.0.5 I believe). Listened to a few red book tracks, a few MQA tracks, couldn’t believe my ears. Harsh highs, depth of soundstage diminished, vocals not drawing me in… pushing me away in fact. So I switched back to RC. And BOOM! All the magic returned. I could hear INTO the music again. Smile returned to my face. Not sure what’s going on here. Probably has a lot to do with peoples rigs and the material they listen to. For me, I don’t have time to figure out the WHY of it all. My ears told me all I need to know. I may check out a future version of SM. But for now, it’s not even close in my system. Redcloud all the way.

I’m a minimalist. Triode Corp Tube Preamp currently boxed up in my closet.
DSD DAC => Pass Labs X350.8 => Acoustic Zen Crescendo MkII.
PS AUDIO P5
Audience AU24 SX XLRs
AU24 SX Speaker cables
Acoustic Zen Absolute Silver power cables.

Better than a Swedish massage after a day of powder skiing. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. Well, at least it’s close.

Make at least one other update trial :wink:

What you describe sounds far away of possible effects in different setups…

1 Like

Jazznut you mean switch to SM again and listen to more tracks? I will do that. I will listen to

1. Steely Dans Gaucho in MQA and
  2. Aja in non MQA.

I just listened to these with Redcloud.

Ok well, these records do sound better with SM than RC. Still not knocking me out. Maybe it is more content-dependent than I thought. I need to do some more listening in SM before I draw any conclusions. But one thing is for sure. I cannot stand by my initial impression / review of SM. Or maybe it didn’t load correctly the first time (if that is even a possible thing). Also the tracks I first listened to in SM now sound better on my second listen with SM. Hmmmm…

One last comment, related to a bridge firmware update I did last night. I had a similar expeience to another poster who stated that he got horrible static and noise sent through his system , the type that could damage speakers. The exact same thing happened to me earlier today - BEFORE I upgraded from RC to SM. I wonder if I did not do some damage to my tweeters. This could have accounted for my initial impression of SM. Redcloud did not sound as good to my ears after I downgraded back to It as I remember things sounding last night. Or earlier today. Shit I am starting to think I have a tweeter problem and not a DAC problem. And that the bridge firmware update may be the cause.

I meant you might have had a corrupt SM install. If you once more reboot the DS after SM install it should usually work.